Successful cost management and value engineering in construction is based on accurate and early estimations of cost, and this book is the quickest route to creating a cost plan from scratch. The budgeting system described in this book will help the reader to:
- document project scope at a level that provides excellent cost control at design stage
- establish the parameters of potential sites before selecting one
- determine the amount of financing needed before deciding to bid on a project
- make a detailed and robust building project budget
- determine the rental rate necessary to see if a building project will be marketable
The technique used is a parametric cost system, not the square foot cost system used by most who quote an up-front building cost. To help calculate the parameter quantities and price them as quantified, this book comes with 5 electronic templates to calculate program scope; i.e. – space, configuration, HVAC loads, plumbing and electrical. It also includes:
- the author’s parametric cost database and cost template to prepare the construction estimate
- a soft cost template to price out all related program costs, convert them to a monthly cash flow, incorporate financing costs and then reveal the final budget
- an operation and maintenance annual cost template to calculate those variable and fixed costs necessary to run the building and then convert the result into the necessary rental rate to capitalize all costs
The spreadsheets, data, advice, and templates, are all introduced through a detailed case study, placing everything in an easy to understand practical context. This will prove an invaluable guide not only for estimators and cost engineers, but also developers, clients, and architects.
Table of Contents
1. The Method and its Usefulness 2. Fixing Project Scope 3. Computing Space Requirements 4. Establishing Configuration 5. Architectural and Structural Quantities 6. Mechanical and Electrical Quantities 7. Construction Estimating 8. Soft Cost Determination 9. Operating Cost and Rent 10. Using Your Budget
Donald E. Parker is an independent building consultant whose long career has included establishing the first value engineering program for the US General Services Administration, managing their nationwide cost estimating program, performing value engineering design review services for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and positions as Executive Vice President of National Government Properties and Senior Vice President of RRP Corp. He is a Fellow of the Society of American Value Engineers International and President of the prestigious Lawrence D. Miles Value Foundation.