Personal Training: Theory and Practice, Second Edition, draws together in one unique volume the personal, practical and business skills central to becoming a successful personal trainer.
This accessible book introduces you to the fundamentals of applied exercise prescription and programme design, as well as advanced concepts including nutritional intervention, postural analysis and the psychology of behaviour change.
- updated to reflect advances in training methodology and techniques in line with requirements for professional qualification
- key points boxes, chapter summaries and a glossary of scientific and technical concepts to aid understanding
- full colour illustrations and photos to support visual learning
- case studies and sample exercise plans to help you put theory into practice
- supported by online resources such as self-assessment tests, downloadable forms and session sheets at www.routledge.com/cw/crossley
Personal Training: Theory and Practice is the ideal companion and handy reference for those embarking on a career in personal training as well as experienced trainers.
Reviews of the first edition:
'the ideal companion to turn you from an amateur into a professional sports trainer…the only title tailored to meet the needs of UK-based personal training.' Work Out
'a gem of a book…clearly written and presented which makes it easy for both fitness professionals and lay people to understand. Definitely worth buying.' Health and Fitness
'I am very impressed with the book in terms of both content and layout, and it's a relief to see a text such as this cover business skills in good detail. I wish this had been the supporting text for my Personal Training Qualification courses. I will encourage my staff to use this text, either to read from cover-to-cover or use as a reference tool.'
Helen Loftus, Assistant Health and Fitness Manager, University of Leeds
Introduction 1. Anatomy and Physiology 2. Exercise Prescription and Programme Design 3. Strength and Conditioning 4. Cardiovascular Training 5. Flexibility 6. Periodization 7. Posture 8. Core Strength and Stability 9. Functional Exercise 10. Sport-Specific Training 11. Nutrition 12. Weight Management 13. Special Populations 14. Science of Swiss Ball and Swiss Ball Training 15. Spotting 16. Manual Resistance 17. Lifestyle Management 18. Sales and Marketing 19. Bringing it Together