Perspectives on Latter-day Saint Names and Naming approaches cultural, historical, and doctrinal dimensions of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through a fresh lens that explores how these dimensions intersect with names and naming.
Featuring a collection of chapters from multiple authors, its bipartite structure examines fascinating topics in relation to the Church, looking first at cultural and historical perspectives before analyzing doctrinal and scriptural perspectives. The book discusses such matters as how contemporary naming practices of Latter-day Saints compare to those outside the faith, how code names were used in one of the faith’s books of scripture to protect Church leaders from persecution, and how names and naming relate to the covenant identity of Church members.
Through its fresh approach to understanding religious identity and belief in relation to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this book is an invaluable resource for scholars and students of Mormon studies and will also be of interest to people with a fascination with names and naming issues as those occur in a variety of settings, including religious ones.
1. Introduction to Perspectives on Latter-day Saint Names and Naming: Names, Identity, and Belief
Dallin D. Oaks
Part 1: Cultural and Historical Perspectives
2. Place Names of the Mormon West: Religion, Heritage, and Idiosyncrasy
Richard H. Jackson
3. Scandinavian Influences on Anthroponyms and Toponyms in Utah
Lynn Henrichsen, George Bailey, Timothy Wright, and Jacob Huckaby
4. Nameways in Latter-day Saint History, Custom, and Folklore
Eric A. Eliason
5. Composite LDS Given Names
Don E. Norton
6. Contemporary Latter-day Saint Naming
Cleveland K. Evans
7. Early Latter-day Saint Code-Names
John A. Tvedtnes
Part 2: Doctrinal and Scriptural Perspectives
8. Onomastics and Latter-day Saint Belief
Dallin D. Oaks
9. The Doctrine of Names in the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ
Joseph Fielding McConkie
10. Book of Mormon Names: Beyond Etymology
11. Striking While the Irony is Hot: Hebrew Onomastics and Their Function Within the Book of Mormon Text
Matthew L. Bowen
12. "Like a Shadow that Accompanies the Body": Names and Naming in the Ancient World
Stephen D. Ricks
13. Book of Mormon Names: A Collection that Defies Expectation
Brad Wilcox, Wendy Baker-Smemoe, Sharon Black, and Bruce L. Brown.