Petrodiesel Fuels Science, Technology, Health, and Environment
This third volume of the handbook presents a representative sample of the population papers in the field of petrodiesel fuels.
Following the substantial public concerns on the adverse impact of the emissions from petrodiesel fuels on the environment and human health, the research has intensified in the areas related to the reduction of these adverse effects. Thus, bioremediation of spills from crude oils and petrodiesel fuels at sea and soils as well as desulfurization of petrodiesel fuels have emerged as publicly important research areas.
Similarly, the emissions from diesel fuel exhausts, due to their adverse effects on both human health and environment, have been researched more in recent years. These emissions cover particulate emissions, aerosol emissions, and NOx emissions.
Research on the adverse impact of petrodiesel fuel exhaust emissions on human health has primarily progressed along the lines of respiratory illnesses, cancer, and other illnesses, such as cardiovascular illnesses, brain illnesses, and reproductive system illnesses, through human, animal, and in vitro studies.
It is clear that these illnesses caused by the petrodiesel fuel exhaust emissions have been one of the most significant reasons to develop alternative biodiesel fuels.
Part IX presents a representative sample of the population papers in the field of crude oils covering major research fronts. It covers crude oil spills in general, crude oil spills and their cleanup, properties and removal of crude oils, biodegradation of crude oil-contaminated soils, and crude oil recovery besides an overview paper.
Part X presents a representative sample of the population papers in the field of petrodiesel fuels in general covering major research fronts. It covers combustion of biodiesel fuels in diesel engines, bioremediation of biodiesel fuel-contaminated soils, biodiesel power generation, and desulfurization of diesel fuels besides an overview paper.
Part XI presents a representative sample of the population papers in the field of emissions from petrodiesel fuels covering major research fronts. It covers diesel emission mitigation, diesel particulate emissions, and diesel NOx emissions, besides an overview paper.
Part XII presents a representative sample of the population papers in the field of the health impact of the emissions from petrodiesel fuels covering major research fronts. It covers respiratory illnesses, cancer, cardiovascular, brain, and reproductive system illnesses, besides an overview paper.
This book will be useful to academics and professionals in the fields of Energy Fuels, Public Environmental Occupational Health, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Immunology, Respiratory System, Allergy, and Oncology.
Ozcan Konur is both a materials scientist and social scientist by training. He has published around 200 journal papers, book chapters, and conference papers. He has focused on the bioenergy and biofuels in recent years. In 2018, he edited Bioenergy and Biofuels, which brought together the work of over 30 experts in their respective field. He also edited the Handbook of Algal Science, Technology, and Medicine with a strong section on the algal biofuels in 2020.
Part 1: Crude oils
1. Crude oils: A scientometric review of the research.
2. Introduction to oil spill behavior
3. Introduction to oil spills and their cleanup
4. Crude oils and their fate in the environment
Roger C. Prince, Bryan M. Hedgpeth, Kelly M. McFarlin
5. Oil contaminated soil: Understanding biodegradation and remediation strategies
Roger C. Prince, Kelly M. McFarlin
6. Biotechnology applications in oil recovery
Kun Sang Lee, Moon Sik Jeong
Part 2: Petrodiesel Fuels in General
7. Petrodiesel fuels: A scientometric review of the research
8. Combustion and Formations of Emission in Compression Ignition Engines and Emissions Reduction Techniques
Shyam Pandey, Amit Kumar Sharma
9. Bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in the contaminated soils: A review of the research.
10. Biodiesel and petrodiesel fuels for marine applications
Mohamad Issa, Adrian Ilinca
11. Desulfurization of diesel fuels: A review of the research
Part 3: Emissions of Petrodiesel Fuels
12. Diesel fuel exhaust emissions: A scientometric review of the research
13. Diesel emissions and their mitigation approaches
I. M. Rizwanul Fattah, Hwai Chyuan Ong, T. M. Indra Mahlia, M. Mofijur
14. Particles from compression and spark ignition engines
Jianbing Gao, Ye Liu
15. Selective catalytic reduction of NOx emissions
Oliver Krocher, Adrian Marberger, Rob Jeremiah G. Nuguid, Filippo Buttignol
Part 4: Health Impact of Petrodisel Fuel Emissions
16. The adverse health and safety impact of diesel fuels: A scientometric review of the research
17. Respiratory illnesses caused by the diesel fuel exhaust emissions: A review of the research
18. Cancer caused by the diesel fuel exhaust emissions: A review of the research.
19. Cardiovascular and other illnesses caused by the diesel fuel exhaust emissions: A review of the research.