Petroleum reservoir management considerations and practices are deeply rooted in the optimization of development objectives, requisite investments, operational costs, and philosophy in addition to the dynamics of timely decision-making. Petroleum Reservoir Management: Considerations and Practices highlights the key reservoir management topics and issues that engage the attention of exploration and production companies over the life cycle of an oilfield.
This is the only book to exclusively address petroleum reservoir management based on actual field development experience. It emphasizes the role of good project management, the value of a quantitative assessment of reservoir health, the importance of using good practices, and the need for true collaboration among various team players to maximize the benefits. The book expands the scope of reservoir management from field operations to boardroom discussions about capital financing to product pricing criteria, mechanisms, and strategies.
- Reviews subsurface and surface management issues
- Discusses project and price management factors critical to the oil industry
- Describes macromanagement issues covering the reservoir life cycle from production to pricing
- Includes the role and significance of teamwork, open communication, and synergy in reservoir management
This book is aimed at professionals and graduate students in petroleum and reservoir engineering, oil and gas companies, and environmental engineering.
Table of Contents
1. Petroleum Reservoir Lifecycle
2. Operating Arrangements and Reservoir Development Objectives
3. Reservoir Management Requirements
4. Signiﬁcance of Reservoir Health and Its Impact on Reservoir Performance
5. Reservoir Management Policy Framework
6. Oilﬁeld Water Management
7. General Reservoir Management Practices, Aberrations, and Consequences
8. Reservoir Development and Management: Important Lessons Learned
9. Proactive Reservoir Management
10. Pricing of Crude Oil
Ashok K. Pathak is a veteran petroleum engineer by qualification with more than four decades of professional experience as a reservoir engineer in various positions in ONGC and KOC. Reservoir development and management are his core areas of expertise where he built a reputation for himself to provide simple and practical solutions. In his long association with national and international oil companies/consultants, he provided technical leadership and successfully navigated various complex reservoir studies and projects for value creation. Several new path-breaking projects were executed under his stewardship at times when old mindsets were proving a barrier to enhance oil production, reserve growth, and cost optimization.
Building and developing young people on the way has been one of Ashok Pathak’s passions. Transiting through his roles of engineer, manager, specialist, and adviser he played a cameo to coach and mentor his colleagues with mantras of self-discipline, commitment, and excellence. He believes that assurance is an important ingredient of performance and success comes not just by chance. It is the result of a structured and organized process intertwined with hard work. He endorses systems, processes, and procedures as long as they promote transparency, efficiency, quality, and cost savings.
He has a master’s and a bachelor’s degree in Petroleum Engineering from the Indian School of Mines.