This book provides a complete introduction to plumbing services. It explains the principles and provides practical examples of the planning, design, installation and maintenance of the plumbing technologies applicable to single-storey buildings, skyscrapers and everything in between. The book begins with an introduction to plumbing technology, the trade and its evolution. Chapters then cover:
- Pipes, fittings and accessories and their installation and testing
- Pumps and pumping systems
- Hydraulic principles
- Hot and cold water supply systems
- Fixtures and appliances
- Sanitary and storm drainage systems
- Special concerns such as seismic issues, safety, security and the state of the art.
Written and the figures drawn by a registered professional engineer and experienced teacher, this book is suitable for use on a wide range of courses from building services engineering, civil engineering, construction technology, plumbing services, environmental engineering, water engineering and architectural technology.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 2. Hydraulics in Plumbing 3. Pipes and Fittings 4. Pipe Installation and Testing 5. Pump and Pumping System 6. Plumbing Accessories and Appurtenances 7. Water Supply System 8. Hot Water Supply System 9. Plumbing Fixtures and Appliances 10. Sanitary Drainage System 11. Rainwater Drainage System 12. Building Sewer System 13. Special Concerns
Syed Azizul Haq, a patent holder of the "mechanical seal trap" and author of Harvesting Rainwater from Buildings, is president of the RAiN Forum – a non-profit voluntary platform for knowledge sharing and promotion of rainwater among scientist, engineers, architects, planners, academicians, practitioners, administrators, students and others who are directly or indirectly concerned about sustainable water management – and, following 35 years with the Public Works Department in Bangladesh, also serves as a part-time faculty member at a number of universities.