Now in its third edition, Political Campaign Communication: Inside and Out examines the intricacies of political campaigning through the eyes of both an academic and a political consultant. Unlike others in its field, this text takes a broad view of political campaigning, discussing both theories and principles, along with topics such as political socialization, the role of money, ethics, and critical events. This new edition delves into ongoing changes in the American political environment, with fuller examinations of women and gender, the involvement of social media in political campaigning, political money, and ethics. Advanced undergraduate and graduate students of political communication can make use of updated chapter-by-chapter discussion questions and online practice quizzes.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Part 1-An Overview of Political Communication Issues
- Political Communication: An Introduction
- Ethical Questions in Political Communication
- Political Socialization: The Development of Political Attitudes
- Campaign Strategies
- The Image of the Political Candidate
- Media Theory and Political Communication
- Campaign Organization
- Campaign Communications in the Mass Media
- Political Polling
- Campaign Communications: Direct Voter Contact
- Political Speeches
- Cyberspace: The Internet and Political Communications
- Press Coverage and Media Relations
- The Role of Political Money
- The Role of Interpersonal Influence
- Critical Events Analysis
Part 2- The Campaign Team
Part 3- Campaign Concerns
Larry Powell is professor of Communication at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
Joseph Cowart is a retired political consultant.
If it has happened in American politics, not only has Larry Powell or Joe Cowart seen it, they probably were involved in it. This is book by two great political pros. It should be a must read for anyone involved in politics or any student of politics. If you don't read it and your opponent does, you will be at a great disadvantage.
- James T. Kitchens, Ph. D.,The Kitchens Group
Powell’s experience as both an academic and a political consultant shine through to provide readers with an authentic look at this topic. This text will be helpful to those who are striving to teach students to be more politically literate and effective members of our society.
- Melissa M. Smith, PhD, Mississippi University for Women, USA
This is the essential book for scholars and practitioners alike; it bridges the gap between academic study and professional application while providing an in-depth look at the realities of the modern campaign process. The strength of this book comes from the authors’ own experience, as it incorporates real life examples of both the how and the why of political consulting today.
-Glenda Cantrell, PhD., The University of Alabama, USA