This volume examines how religion is intrinsically related to politics in India. Based on studies from states across the length and breadth of India, it looks at political formations that inform political discourse on the national level and maps the trajectory of religion in politics.
The essays in the volume:
- discuss contemporary trends in Indian politics, including Hindutva, citizenship bills and mob violence;
- draw on fieldwork conducted across states and regions in India on critical themes — the role of religion in electoral process, political campaigns and voting behavior, political and ideological mobilization, state politics vis-à-vis religion, among minorities; and
- focus on the emerging politics in the 21st century.
The book will be key reference text for scholars and researchers of politics, religion, sociology, media and culture studies, and South Asian studies.
Table of Contents
List of Figures and Tables
- Religion, Minorities and Indian State
- Politics of Religious Polarization in India: Insights from Riots in Gujarat (2002), Kandhamal (2008) and Muzaffarnagar (2013)
- Sikh Politics in Punjab: Shiromani Akali Dal
Ashutosh Kumar and Hardeep Kaur
- Religion, Ethnicity and Politics: Understanding BJP’s Rise in Assam
Dhruba Pratim Sharma, Tarun Gogoi and Vikas Tripathi
- Church and Political Action in Mizoram
- Identity, Religion and Development: The Changing Nature of Political Mobilization of Muslims In Post-Sachar West Bengal
- Hindutva as a ‘Sacred Form’: A Case Study of Karnataka
- Nature and Dynamics of Religion-Oriented Politics in Kerala
Josukutty C. A.
- Politics of Hindutva In Maharashtra: Actors, Causes and Political Effects
Parimal Maya Sudhakar
- Religion–Polity Interface in Jammu & Kashmir: An Analysis
- Religion as a Tool for Political Mobilization in Bihar
- Beyond Othering: A Study of Hindu Political in Gujarat
- Indian Political Space and Religion: Perspectives and Exploring Alternatives
Y. S. Alone
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Civics & Citizenship
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Government / State & Provincial
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Government / National
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / World / Asian
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Regional Studies