Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) is a method used by maintenance and reliability industry professionals as one of the key tools to drive improvement. This book offers a quick guide to the applications involved in performing a successful RCFA by providing a foundational view of maintenance and reliability strategies. It also highlights the practical applications of RCFA and identifies how to achieve a successful RCFA, as well as discussing common equipment failures and how to solve them. Case studies on topics including pump system failure analysis and vibration analysis are included.
- Suggests examples on how to solve common failure on many types of equipment, including fatigue, pumps, bearings, and mechanical power transmission
- Highlights practical applications of RCFA
- Identifies key elements for how to achieve a successful RCFA
- Presents case studies on topics including pump system failure analysis and vibration analysis
The book is a must-read for any reliability engineer, particularly mechanical reliability professionals.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Successful RCFA
- Five Rights of Successful RCFA
- Key Factors in Fatigue Failure
- Key Factors in Bearing Failure
- Key Factors in Pump System Failure
- Key Factors in Mechanical Power Transmission Failure
- Key Factors in Bolted Joint Failure
A native of Kossuth, MS, Mr. Randy Riddell attended Mississippi State University where he received a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Mr. Riddell has over 30 years of industrial experience with a career focused on maintenance and reliability in the paper industry. His formal certifications include CMRP from SMRP, MLTI from ICML, CLS from STLE, Level 1 Vibration, and Pump System Assessment Professional, PSAP, from the Hydraulic Institute. Mr. Riddell has published many articles around industrial equipment reliability topics. Mr. Riddell has also been a guest speaker at several industry and University engineering settings.
"This is the most complete, concise and usable reference I have ever read on the subject of reliability"
Phil Hendrix, President and Founder, Hendrix Precision
"This is THE book to guide you through conducting an RCFA. For more than thirty years, Randy has been the go-to engineer for investigating and solving failures. Now he’s sharing his experience and success stories to help others. After walking the reader through the basics of the RCFA process, his approach in using that information for application is straight forward and practical, with great examples and case studies. This is a must-have resource for those in maintenance and reliability."
Tom Mauter, Supplier Quality Assurance Manager, International Paper
"This book is a home run for anyone that has the drive to get to root cause! Following the '5 Rights' detailed in this book will improve your team’s ability to conduct a successful RCFA and eliminate re-occurring breakdowns forever."
Randy Short, Manufacturing Excellence Director Maintenance & Reliability, Essity