Practicing Circular Economy
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after June 25, 2021
Circular Economy (CE) is considered as one the important strategies to address the Sustainable Development Goals.
Practicing Circular Economy provides an overview of CE, covering its evolution describing the key concepts, programs, policies and regulations. It illustrates several business opportunities over a hundred hand-picked case studies that encompass numerous sectors, various scales of operations and geographies. Another unique feature of the book are the activities listed in each chapter to invoke thoughts, frame assignments and generate discussions. Each chapter lists key additional reading materials and takeaways.
Aimed at mid and senior-level managers, policy makers, investors, entrepreneurs, consultants, researchers, professors and academic students involved in the subject of environmental management and sustainability, this book:
- Introduces evolution of circular economy to clarify the key concepts and introduce some of the important global programs and initiatives
- Explains the 12Rs of circular economy with case studies
- Gives a global overview of adoption of circular economy covering countries such as India, Japan, Korea, China, EU, North America, Australia and several more.
- Includes information on methodologies followed, tools and knowledge resources for practicing circular economy
- Provides insight to the business models with numerous case studies covering product design, manufacturing and services and the role of innovation and financing
- Presents a comprehensive overview of opportunities in CE in sectors such as textile, steel, agriculture & food.
- Covers newly emerging paradigms of CE such as regional circular economy, circular supply chains and sustainable procurement and impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on CE.
Practicing Circular Economy is thus an important resource for every circular economy practitioner and especially to those who aspire to make a career in circular economy.
Table of Contents
1. Challenges We Face Today 2. Key Concepts, Strategies and Programs 3. Circular Economy Toolbox 4. 12Rs of Circular Economy 5. Making Longer Lasting Products 6. Closing the Loop 7. Circular Economy in Select Sectors 8. Business Models in a Circular Economy 9. Innovation and Financing in Circular Economy 10. Governance in CE 11. More Insights and Way Forward
Dr Modak was a Professor at Centre for Environmental Science & Engineering at IIT Bombay and later as Professor (Adjunct) at the Center for Technology Alternatives in Rural Areas He is currently the Executive President of Environmental Management Centre LLP and Director of Ekonnect Knowledge Foundation.
Dr Modak has worked with almost all key UN, multi-lateral and bi-lateral developmental institutions in the world. Apart from Government of India and various State Governments, Dr Modak’s advice is sought by Governments of Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Mauritius, Thailand and Vietnam.
Dr Modak is currently member of Indian Resources Panel at Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change and Member of Task Force on Sustainable Public Procurement at the Ministry of Finance of Government of India.
Dr Modak serves as a member of the National Committee on Circular Economy of the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). He is also on the three-member advisory committee of the Circular Economy Club that is a worldwide initiative with more than 8000 members.
Dr Modak prepared Global Status Report on Cleaner Production for UNEP DTIE. Dr Modak co-authored the first Global Waste Management Outlook and served as Chief Editor of Asia Waste Management Outlook for the United Nations Environment.