This second edition of Professional Ethics for the Construction Industry empowers a new generation of built environment professionals to navigate the ethical challenges confronting them at every stage of a project, from the initial bid to its completion and beyond. Authored by a pair of veteran educators and industry professionals, this textbook introduces ethical dilemmas aspiring construction professionals will face on the job—and the critical thinking skills to reason their way out of them.
Written to meet curriculum requirements for all levels of construction education, this book explores ethics specific to the construction industry, illustrated by detailed and realistic case studies. All-new chapters on privacy, cutting-edge technologies, and pandemic-era worker protections complement chapters on perennial ethical issues surrounding the environment, client relationships, and more. Features include:
- Completely revised and updated to reflect changes in construction technology, workforce composition, and working environments.
- Updated to include new chapters on social media, privacy and technology, and construction during a disease outbreak or natural disaster.
- Ideal reading for courses in professional ethics, leadership, construction law, workforce readiness, and continuing education.
- Downloadable instructor's manual with commentary on scenarios provided at the end of each chapter.
As vital on the jobsite as in the classroom, Professional Ethics for the Construction Industry guides aspiring design and construction professionals through the thorniest on-the-job conundrums.
1. Introduction. 2. Codes of Conduct, Compliance, and Reporting. 3. Contract Procurement. 4. Construction Contracts and Purchase Agreements. 5. Documentation and Recordkeeping. 6. Project Execution. 7. Discrimination and Harassment. 8. Client Relations. 9. Ethics and the Environment. 10. International Construction. 11. Technology and Digital Information. 12. Construction during Crisis.