This book presents practical advice to law students and those entering and now working in the legal profession that will help them to reconcile who they are as a person with the demands and opportunities of a legal career.
The book sets out a clear framework and practice examples for: (i) defining “success”, (ii) understanding the role of a professional in relation to clients, colleagues, adversaries and community, (iii) reconciling demands of practice within ethical rules and norms, business considerations and personal values and (iv) building a values-centered, economically viable practice and reputation.
Complete with practical advice and experiences that produce and reinforce a holistic approach, this book provides invaluable support for second- and third-year law students and lawyers in practice to establish elusive work-life balance over the course of a legal career.
Table of Contents
SECTION ONE: AWARENESS OF BALANCE BETWEEN BUSINESS, ETHICS AND VALUES IN LAW PRACTICE
1. The Values Driven Professional and Giving Voice to Values
2. Character and Values
3. Professionalism Beyond Legal Competence
4. Legal Ethics and Duties
5. Reconciling Character and Values with Expectations of Clients and Employers
SECTION TWO: ANALYSIS AND ACTION IN LAWYER/CLIENT REPRESENTATION AND INTRA PROFESSIONAL INTERACTIONS
6. Who is the Client?
7. Objectives of Representation
8. Counseling/Decision Making in the Attorney Client Relationship
9. Confidentiality and Conflicts of Interest
10. Enron – Lessons in Corruption of Values
SECTION THREE: CORE INTANGIBLES
11. Trust and Honesty
SECTION FOUR: BUILDING A SUCCESSFUL CAREER
12. Career Choices
13. Building a Practice / Business Development
14. Role of a Mentor
15. Contributing to a Cooperative Workplace / Diversity
16. The Role of a Lawyer in the Community
Robert Feldman teaches Professional Responsibility and Negotiation Theory and Practice. He was a corporate partner at Weil, Gotshal & Manges specializing in real estate transactions, restructurings and bankruptcy. He was part of the team representing the Chapter 11 Debtor’s Estate in both the Enron and Lehman bankruptcies.