Assisting organizations in improving their project management processes, the Project Management Maturity Model defines the industry standard for measuring project management maturity and agile and adaptive capabilities.
Project Management Maturity Model, Fourth Edition provides a roadmap showing organizations how to move to higher levels of organizational behavior, improving project success and organizational performance. It's a comprehensive tool for enhancing project management practices, covering areas critical to organizational improvement, such as the project management office, management oversight, and professional development. It also provides methods for optimizing project management processes and suggestions for deploying the model as a strategic tool in improving business outcomes. New material in each chapter also outlines good practices for implementing adaptive an agile processes. The book also includes the Project Portfolio Management Maturity Model, which covers best practices for determining portfolio maturity, setting short-term priorities, implementing benefits realization management, improving portfolio management processes and tracking progress.
The author, J. Kent Crawford, CEO of PM Solutions, describes the basics of project management maturity, including the benefits of assessing maturity, and presents a comprehensive framework for improving organization's processes. Chapters are based on the ten project management knowledge areas specified in the Project Management Institute's standard, the PMBOK® Guide. This edition provides new and revised materials based on the PMBOK® Guide including a fresh focus on agile and adaptive methods, benefits realization, and organizational change management. Organizations can use this book to:
- Determine the maturity of your organization's project management processes
- Gauge readiness for agile transformation
- Map out a logical path to improve your organization's processes
- Set priorities for short-term process improvement
- Track and visualize improvements in project management over time
- Learn to translate process maturity into business results
After an objective assessment, an organization can set its goals for increasing the capability of its processes and develop a plan for reaching those goals. This book is ideal for anyone involved with improving the capability of an organization's project and portfolio management processes.
Table of Contents
1. Describing Project Management Maturity. 2. Definitions of Maturity Levels. 3. Project Integration Management. 4. Project Scope Management. 5. Schedule Management. 6. Cost Management. 7. Quality Management. 8. Resource Management. 9. Communications Management. 10. Risk Management. 11. Procurement and Vendor Management. 12. Project Stakeholder Management. 13. Now What? Using Your Maturity Assessment to Achieve Business Goals. Epilogue. Appendix A: Self-Assessment Survey. Appendix B: PPM Maturity Model. Appendix C: A Glossary of Terms for Adaptive/Agile Project Management. References. Index.
J. Kent Crawford, PMP, is the founder and CEO of PM Solutions and its training subsidiary, PM College. Crawford led PM Solutions in establishing the annual PMO of the Year Award, developing the first project manager competency assessment instrument, and creating one of the first project management maturity models. These innovations not only serve the project management community at large, but are incorporated into PM Solutions consulting and training practices to ensure that clients receive services in tune with the latest developments in the marketplace. He is a popular, dynamic speaker at project management events worldwide. As an advocate of the profession, he is passionate about project management, with a focus on its business value. A former President and Chair of the Project Management Institute (PMI®), Crawford has been honored with the PMI Fellow Award, PMI's most prestigious individual award.
In addition to authoring The Strategic Project Office: A Guide to Improving Organizational Performance, which received the 2001 David I. Cleland Project Management Literature Award from the Project Management Institute, Crawford is the author of Project Management Maturity Model: Providing a Proven Path to Project Management Excellence, Project Management Roles & Responsibilities (all now in their second editions), An Inside Look at High-Performing PMOs, Optimizing Human Capital with a Strategic Project Office, and Seven Steps to Strategy Execution.