514 pages | 11 B/W Illus.
Public Administration and Public Affairs demonstrates how to govern efficiently, effectively, and responsibly in an age of political corruption and crises in public finance. Providing a comprehensive, accessible and humorous introduction to the field of Public Administration, this text is designed specifically for those with little to no background in the field. Now in its 13th edition, this beloved book includes:
The 13th edition is complete with an Instructor’s Manual, Testbank, and PowerPoint slides for instructors, as well as Learning Objectives and Self-test Questions for students, making it the ideal primer for public administration/management, public affairs, and nonprofit management courses.
"The thirteenth edition of this text is a national treasure for students as well as seasoned practitioners and scholars. Chapter 1 alone is a brilliant contribution to thinking about public affairs. In a period in which American public life in the United States is a complex and often bewildering subject, Nicholas Henry brings diamond-like clarity, thorough scholarship, fascinating examples, current data, and entertaining illustrations to the subject. The reader and the nation are better off for it." – James D. Carroll, former Program Director, The Brookings Institution, USA
"This latest edition of a classic textbook retains the principles and practical guidance needed by today's students and administrators, and adds the latest trends and insights required to confront effectively and efficiently the challenges of our rapidly changing social and political environment." – Naomi B. Lynn, University of Illinois, USA
Part 1. In Defense of Governing Well
1. Big Democracy, Big Bureaucracy
2. Paradigms of Public Administration
Part 2. Public and Nonprofit Organizations
3. The Threads of Organizations: Theories
4. The Fabric of Organizations: Forces
5. The Fibres of Organizations: People
Part 3. Public Management: Curbing Corruption, Enhancing Efficiency
6. Clarifying Complexity: The Public’s Information Resource
7. The Constant Quest: Effective and Efficient Governance
8. The Public Trough: Financing and Budgeting Governments
9. Managing Human Capital in the Public and Nonprofit Sectors
Part 4. Implementing Public Policy
10. Understanding and Improving Public Policy
11. Intersectoral Administration
12. Intergovernmental Administration
13. Toward a Bureaucratic Ethic
To gain access to the instructor resources for this title, please visit the Instructor Resources Download Hub.
You will be prompted to fill out a registration form which will be verified by one of our sales reps.