Public Management in Korea
Performance Evaluation and Public Institutions
Many books on performance management or evaluation are about the public sector in general or specifically about some programs or organizations. Only a few of them target the public institutions. This book addresses what types of challenges that performance evaluations of public institutions actually face and how to overcome them through the analysis of Korea’s three-decade long experiences.
This book provides detailed descriptions on how performance evaluations of public institutions have been implemented in Korea. At the same time, it provides comprehensive analyses on theoretical issues such as validity analysis performance measure, the dynamic change of efficiency of public institution, impact of price regulation on profits, and qualitative approaches for evaluating governance.
Each chapter contains vivid theoretical debates and diverse views on performance evaluation and practical challenges, making the book a useful reference on managing and evaluating public institutions.
Table of Contents
Part I: Overview
1. Performance Evaluation of Public Institutions in Korea: Historical Evolution and Challenges for the Future (Soonae Park)
2. Achievements of the performance evaluation of public institutions: Financial efficiency vs Publicness (Soonae Park, Ji Eun Son and Young Mi Lee)
3. Proper Understanding of developing Performance Indicators and Performance Management in the Public Sector (Seok Hwan Lee)
4. Improvement of Management and Performance Evaluation System of Public Institutions in the View of Strategic Performance Management (Kil Pyo Hong)
Part II: Performance Evaluation and Governance
5. The Views and Measures of Main Business Activities Evaluation of Public Institutions Revisited: Focusing on the Evolutionary Logic Model and Evaluability Assessment (Yoon Seuk Woo)
6. Evaluation System for the Heads of Public Institutions: Current Status and Issues (Soo Young Lee)
7. Analysis of the Standing Auditors Evaluation System and the Performance Indicators: With a Focus on Expertise (Tae Ho Eom)
8. Industrial relations and the performance evaluation of public institutions (Dae Sik Choi)
Part III: Performance Measurement and Indicators
9. Target-Setting in Performance Evaluation and Public Institutions’ Incentives (Youn Sik Choi)
10. Issues in Quantitative Evaluation (Bong Hwan Kim)
11. Investigation of Theoretical Foundation for Quantitative Indicator Target Assignment (Deviation) Evaluation Method in Performance Evaluation of Public Institutions (Ill Oong Kwon)
12. Empirical Analysis of Efficiency Improvement in Public Corporations Using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) (Kil Kon Ko)
13. Collaboration and Performance Evaluation: Context and Indicators (Tae Hyon Choi)
14. Public Utility Performance Indicators under Price Regulation (Soun Man Hong)
15. Plan for Constructing Performance Governance of Public corporations (Gu Hwan Won)
Soonae Park is Professor at the Graduate School of Public Administration, Seoul National University.