Radiation Technologies and Applications in Materials Science
This book explains various kinds of non-ionizing and high-energy radiations, their interaction with materials and chemical reactions, and conditions of various kinds of materials development technologies including applications. It covers a processing-structure-property relationship and radiations used in developing many advanced materials used in various fields. It highlights application-oriented materials synthesis and modification covering a wide variety of materials such as plastics, rubber, thermo-set, ceramics, and so forth by various radiations.
- Explains ionizing and non-ionizing radiation-assisted materials development technologies, for polymers, ceramics, metals, and carbons
- Covers radiation-assisted synthesis, processing, and modification of all kinds of materials
- Provides comparative studies, merits, demerits, and applications very systematically
- Criss-crosses polymers science and technology, radiation technology, advanced materials technology, biomaterials technology, and so forth
- Includes a section on 3D printing by LASER melting of CoCr alloys
This book is aimed at researchers and graduate students in materials science, radiation chemistry and physics, and polymer and other materials processing.
1. Cross-linking of polymers by various radiations: Mechanisms and parameters.
S. T. Mhaske, S. U. Mestry, and D. A. Patil
2. Tuning desired properties by tailoring radiation grafted polymeric materials: Preparation and characterization.
S. Selambakkannu, N. A. F. Othman, T.M. Ting, and N.L. Ishak
3. Microwave-assisted conversion of coal and biomass to activated carbon.
4. Radiation-induced polymer modification and polymerization.
Tuhin Subhra Pal and Nikhil K. Singha
5. Radiation-induced graft copolymerization - A facile technology for polymer surface modification and applications.
Subhadeep Chakraborty, Soumen Sardar, and Abhijit Bandyopadhyay
6. Irradiation-induced effect on polymer: From mechanism to biomedical applications.
Sumit Dokwal, Suman Mahendia, Rishi Pal Chahal, Vishal Sharma, Suman B. Kuhar, and Shyam Kumar
7. Radiation-induced degradation and grafting of cellulosic substrates.
A. K. Rana and A. S. Singha
8. Radiation-initiated tailored membranes for ready fit.
Mayank Saxena and A. Bhattacharya
9. Radiation-grafted ion exchange membranes (RGIEMs) for fuel cell applications.
Prachi Singhal, Safiya Nisar, Bharath Govind, and Sunita Rattan
10. High-temperature thermoplastic elastomeric materials by beam treatment - Challenges and opportunities.
Aiswarya S, Pratiksha Awasthi, Nischay Kodihalli Shivaprakash, Wayne Cooke, Subhan Salaeh, and Shib Shankar Banerjee
11. Selective laser melting of CoCr alloys in biomedical application: A review.
J. S. Saini, Luke Dowling, Daniel Trimble, and Sachin Singh
12. Radiation curing of epoxy composites and coatings.
P. Poornima Vijayan, Anu Surendran, and Sabu Thomas
13. Microwave-assisted activated carbon: A promising class of materials for a wide range of applications.
M. N. M. Ansari and M. A. Sayem
14. Synthesis of inorganic nanoparticles by using ionizing radiation, their characterization, and applications.
Jayashree Biswal, H. J. Pant, and V. K. Sharma