Radio Frequency Micromachined Switches, Switching Networks, and Phase Shifters discusses radio frequency microelectromechanical systems (RF MEMS)-based control components and will be useful for researchers and R&D engineers. It offers an in-depth study, performance analysis, and extensive characterization on micromachined switches and phase shifters. The reader will learn about basic design methodology and techniques to carry out extensive measurements on MEMS switches and phase shifters which include electrical, mechanical, power handling, linearity, temperature stability, reliability, and radio frequency performance. Practical examples included in the book will help readers to build high performance systems/subsystems using micromachined circuits.
- Provides simple design methodology of MEMS switches and switching networks including SPST to SP16T switches
- Gives an in-depth performance study of micromachined phase shifters. Detailed study on reliability and power handling capability of RF MEMS switches and phase shifters presented
- Proposes reconfigurable micromachined phase shifters
- Verifies a variety of MEMS switches and phase shifters experimentally
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Microelectromechanical Systems 2. Behavioral Studies of Micromachined Contact Switches 3. Single-Pole Multithrow MEMS Switching Networks 4. Lateral MEMS Switches and Switching Networks 5. Micromachined Microwave Phase Shifters 6. Digital MEMS Switched-Line Phase Shifters 7. DMTL Phase Shifter Design Using MAM Capacitors and a MEMS Bridge 8. Push–Pull Type of Micromachined Phase Shifters 9. Reconfigurable Micromachined Phase Shifters Using Push–Pull Actuators 10. Multifrequency MEMS Phase Shifter Bank 11. Reliability Analysis of MEMS Switches and Phase Shifters 12. MEMS 3-Bit and 4-Bit Phase Shifters Using Two Back-to-Back Switching Networks 13. Digital MEMS Phase Shifters Using Combinations of Switched-Line and DMTL Topologies 14. Packaging and Integration Technologies
Shiban Kishen Koul is a professor at the Centre for Applied Research in Electronics at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi. He is also the chairman of Astra Microwave Products Limited, Hyderabad. He is a Fellow of the Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE), USA, a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), and a Fellow of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE).
Sukomal Dey is an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad. He is a member of the Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE), USA.
"Koul and Dey are prolific researchers based at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD) who have authored hundreds of research articles in this field. Here, they condense decades of their RF switch and phase-shifter work into a densely packed but rewarding volume. But for readers interested in the physics, mechanics, and RF engineering that go into the design and fabrication of micromachined RF switch networks, Koul and Dey provide all the details: design equations; methods of dealing with problems at the micro level, such as stiction; and many measurements of actual constructed systems, including pertinent reliability data. Although RF micromachined switches are still largely in the research phase, the situation may soon change. The book is well-written and rigorous without being obscure and most valuable for emerging specialists in this field."
--K. D. Stephan, Texas State University, CHOICE, January 2020 Vol. 57 No. 5
Summing Up: Highly recommended. Upper-division undergraduates through faculty and professionals.