Railway Transportation Systems Design, Construction and Operation
Railway Transportation Systems covers the entire range of railway passenger systems, from conventional and high-speed intercity systems to suburban, regional, operating on steep gradients, and urban ones. It also examines in depth freight railway systems transporting conventional loads, heavy loads, and dangerous goods.
For each system, the text provides a definition; an overview of its evolution and examples of good practice; the main design, construction, and operational characteristics; and the preconditions for its selection. Additionally, it offers a general overview of safety, interfaces with the environment, forces acting on the track, and techniques that govern the stability and guidance of railway vehicles.
This new edition brings two new chapters. One concerns pre-feasibility studies of urban rail projects, and the other analyses the operation of railway systems under specific weather conditions and natural phenomena. New material examines dilemmas, trends and innovations in rail freight transportation; a new definition for high-speed rail; a number of case studies; and an update of cutting-edge technologies. It is ideal for graduate students, engineers, consultants, manufacturers, and transport company executives who need a reference and guide.
1. The railway as a transport system
2. Loads on track
3. Behaviour of rolling stock on track
7. Automatic passenger transport railway systems of low- and medium-transport capacity
8. Suburban railway
9. Rack railway
10. Cable railway systems for steep gradients
11. Organisation and management of passenger intercity railway transport
12. High-speed networks and trains
13. Tilting trains
14. Metric track gauge intercity railway networks
15. Organisation and management of freight railway transport
16. Heavy haul rail transport
17. Operation of railway systems under specific weather conditions and natural phenomena
18. Railway safety
19. Railway and the natural environment
20. The research in the railway domain - Cutting-edge technologies in railways
21. Applicability verification – A supporting tool for the conduction of feasibility studies of urban mass railway transportation systems