Real-Time Environmental Monitoring Sensors and Systems - Textbook
Written 10 years after the publication of the first edition, this updated edition of Real-Time Environmental Monitoring: Sensors and Systems introduces the fundamentals of environmental monitoring based on electronic sensors, instruments, systems, and software that allow continuous and long-term ecological and environmental data collection. It accomplishes two objectives: explains how to use sensors for building more complex instruments, systems, and databases, and introduces a variety of sensors and systems employed to measure environmental variables in air, water, soils, vegetation canopies, and wildlife observation and tracking. This second edition is thoroughly updated in every aspect of technology and data, and each theoretical chapter is taught parallel with a hands-on application lab manual.
- Emphasizes real-time monitoring as an emerging area for environmental assessment and compliance and covers the fundamentals on how to develop sensors and systems
- Presents several entirely new topics not featured in the first edition, including remote sensing and GIS, machine learning, weather radar and satellites, groundwater monitoring, spatial analysis, and habitat monitoring
- Includes applications to many environmental and ecological systems
- Uses a practical, hands-on approach with the addition of an accompanying lab manual, which students can use to deepen their understanding, based on the author’s 40 years of academic experience
Intended for upper-level undergraduate and graduate students, taking courses in civil and environmental engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, geosciences, and environmental sciences, as well as professionals working in environmental services, and researchers and academics in engineering.
1. Principles of Environmental Monitoring 2. Programming and Single-Board Computers 3. Sensors and Transducers: Basic Circuits 4. Bridge Circuits and Signal Conditioning 5. Dataloggers and Sensor Networks 6. Wireless Technologies: Telemetry and Wireless Sensor Networks 7. Environmental Monitoring and Electric Power 8. Remote Monitoring of the Environment 9. Probability, Statistics, and Machine Learning 10. Databases and Geographic Information Systems 11. Atmospheric Monitoring 12. Water Monitoring 13. Terrestrial Ecosystems Monitoring 14. Wildlife Monitoring