Use new knowledge of the LGBT culture to ably counsel same-sex couples!
Relationship Therapy with Same-Sex Couples provides psychologists, therapists, social workers, and counselors with an overview of the array of treatment issues they may face when working with couples from the LGBT community. This book highlights the experiences of therapists who have encountered concerns particular to LGBT clientsespecially those in intimate relationships. This intriguing resource covers clinical issues, sex therapy, special situations, and training issues for helping therapists successfully counsel same-sex couples.
Relationship Therapy with Same-Sex Couples explores the therapist’s role in working through universal issues in couples therapysuch as communication problems, infidelity, and decision-makingwith a focus on how therapy should differ for same-sex couples. This important guide also identifies which problems are unique to couples as an aspect of their sexual orientation, including gender role socialization and societal oppression. With this book, you will be able provide appropriate therapy without over- or under-attributing a couple’s problems to their LGBT status.
This book shows how experienced therapists have developed methods for working with:
- gay and lesbian parents
- heterosexual spouses and ex-spouses
- couples in HIV serodiscordant relationships
- lesbian bed death
- couple and family dynamics supporting transgender and sexual reassignment issues
- and more!
Table of Contents
- Foreword (Robert-Jay Green)
- Introduction (Jerry J. Bigner and Joseph L. Wetchler)
- CLINICAL ISSUES WITH SAME-SEX COUPLES
- Clinical Issues with Same-Sex Couples: A Review of the Literature (Colleen M. Connolly)
- Clinical Issues with Gay Male Couples (Gil Tunnell and David E. Greenan)
- Identity and Cultural Narrative in a Lesbian Relationship (M. Theodora Pintzuk)
- Bisexual Issues in Same-Sex Couple Therapy (Mary Bradford)
- Supporting Transgender and Sex Reassignment Issues: Couple and Family Dynamics (Gianna E. Israel)
- SEX THERAPY WITH SAME-SEX COUPLES
- A Systems Approach to Sex Therapy with Gay Male Couples (Michael Bettinger)
- Resolving the Curious Paradox of the (A)Sexual Lesbian (Marny Hall)
- SPECIAL ISSUES WITH SAME-SEX COUPLES
- Working with Gay and Lesbian Parents (Jerry J. Bigner)
- Paths and Pitfalls: How Heterosexual Spouses Cope When Their Husbands or Wives Come Out (Amity Pierce Buxton)
- An Interpersonal and Intercultural Embrace: A Letter of Reflection on My Gay Male Relational Connections (Eric Aoki)
- TRAINING ISSUES FOR WORKING WITH SAME-SEX COUPLES
- The Sexual Orientation Matrix for Supervision: A Tool for Training Therapists to Work with Same-Sex Couples (Janie K. Long and Elizabeth Lindsey)
- A Heterosexual Therapist’s Journey Toward Working with Same-Sex Couples (Joseph L. Wetchler)
- Resources on Same-Sex Couples for Therapists and Clients (Debra Wallace and Kevin P. Lyness)
- Reference Notes Included