This text explores the major new or unconventional religions and spiritual movements in America that exist outside the Judeo-Christian tradition.
Table of Contents
1. The Several Meanings of “Cult.”
2. The History of an Alternative Reality in the West.
3. New Vessels for the Ancient Wisdom: Groups in the Theosophical and Rosicrucian Traditions.
4. The Descent of the Mighty Ones: Spiritualism and UFO Groups.
5. The Crystal Within: Initiatory Groups.
6. The Edenic Bower: Neo-Paganism.
7. The Ganges Flows West: Indian Movements in America.
8. The East in the Golden West: Other Oriental Movements.
9. New Religious Movements: Sociological and Psychological Approaches.
Appendix: The People's Temple.
Addresses of Groups.
Robert S. Ellwood is Professor Emeritus at the University of Southern California.
Harry Partin was Professor of History of Religions at Duke University.