Research Methods and Society, Third Edition is designed to help undergraduate students acquire basic skills in methods of social science research. These skills provide a foundation for understanding research findings in the social sciences and for conducting social research. Just as important, such skill-sets and principles can be applied to everyday situations to make sense of the endless stream of claims and counterclaims confronted daily in print and electronic forms, including social media.
Key features of this book include:
- Straightforward prose, including key concepts and tools.
- Concrete and everyday examples and "hands-on" practice activities and Applications designed to be interesting and useful to students.
- Organization to accommodate term-length research projects.
- Chapter Summaries and Review Sheets.
- Assignments to meet specific learning goals:
- Evaluation of key excerpts from research reports published in professional journal articles and popular press.
- Analysis of secondary data (e.g., from the General Social Survey).
- Analysis of primary data from mini–research projects.
- Combinations of methods applications using more than one activity (e.g., evaluating published reports and completing secondary data analysis or mini-projects).
- New to Third Edition:
- New chapter, "Ethics and Social Science Research."
- Many new and updated citations, including from international sources.
- References to Internet survey tools and software: how to find data online, what to consider, and how to choose.
- References to noteworthy, informative media from online sources (e.g., Annenberg Learning, universities, weblogs, YouTube).
- Supplemental Instructor Materials: Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, PowerPoint presentations.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introducing Social Research
Chapter 2. Ethics and Social Science Research
Chapter 3. Scientific Method and Basic Concepts
Chapter 4. Variables and Their Measurement
Chapter 5. Designing Social Experiments
Chapter 6. Ethnography and Observation
Chapter 7. Indirect Methods
Chapter 8. Surveys
Chapter 9. Population, Samples, and Sampling
Chapter 10. Data Preparation and Basic Analysis
Chapter 11. Data Analysis 2: Describing, Explaining, Evaluating
Chapter 12. Preparing the Report
Chapter 13. Applying Principles of "Science Learning" to Everyday Learning
Appendix 1. Chapter Supplements
Appendix 2. Code of Ethics
Appendix 3. Random Numbers Table
Appendix 4. Statistical Formulas
Appendix 5. Introduction to the General Social Survey (GSS) Dataset