Resource Recovery from Wastewater Toward Sustainability
This informative volume provides comprehensive knowledge on various aspects of wastewater resource management from the point of process sustainability and resource recovery. This authoritative compendium is crucial for developing resource-efficient and sustainable wastewater treatment technologies and management strategies for both small (decentralized) and large (centralized) communities.
Traditional wastewater systems have become increasingly energy-consuming and cost-intensive while also not meeting the increasing standards for nutrient removal and sustainable development. This book incorporates the latest developments in pollutant removal and resource recovery schemes in wastewater treatment. It highlights advances that have been made in microbiological processes; design of treatment methods; process configurations; energy conservation and efficiency improvement schemes; nutrient removal; recovery, reclamation, and recycling; beneficial uses of wastewater; and bioenergy and biochemical production from wastewater and sludge streams.
Waste-to-energy technologies, especially wastewater treatment as a potential biofuel energy alternative through bioelectrochemical and other processes, are also discussed in this book.
1. The Sustainability Dimensions of Resource Recovery from “Wastewater”
Nancy Diaz-Elsayed, Weiwei Mo, and Qiong Zhang
2. Evaluating Resource Recovery Options in Wastewater Treatment Plants Using Mathematical Models
Pedram Ramin et al.
3. Osmotic Membrane Bioreactor and Its Hybrid Systems for Resource Recovery from Wastewater
Wenhai Luo, Zhicheng Xu, and Xinhua Wang
4. Energy Consumption and Recovery in Wastewater Treatment Systems
Gideon Sarpong and Veera Gnaneswar Gude
5. Thermal Energy Recovery in Wastewater Treatment Plants
Viola Somogyi et al.
6. Advances in Nitrogen Removal and Recovery Techniques in Wastewater
Dolores Hidalgo, Jesús M. Martín-Marroquín, and Francisco Corona
7. Phosphorus Removal and Recovery in Water Resource Recovery Facilities
Christian Schaum et al.
8. Microbial Community Diversity and Monitoring in Anaerobic Digestion
Macarena Mellado and Oscar Franchi
9. Decentralized Systems for Wastewater Treatment and Resource Recovery
Andrea Arias, Gumersindo Feijoo, and Maria Teresa Moreira
10. Environmental Impacts of Wastewater Treatment Alternatives for Small Scale Communities
Mustafa Yildirim and Bülent Topkaya