Responsible Innovation in Large Technological Systems
Large technological systems, such as seaports, nuclear power stations, wind farms and natural gas extraction, provide vital functions for society. And yet these large technological systems have an impact on different stakeholder groups in both positive and negative ways.
This book defines responsible innovation and describes how both the innovation process and the resulting innovation outcome can be designed, created and implemented in a way that respects the various stakeholder groups involved and affected by the system. Taking a case-based approach, a number of large technological systems are profiled, including hydraulic engineering, nuclear energy, smart metering, and wind power. The values of each of the stakeholder groups, and the costs and benefits of the systems presented, are analysed. The book concludes by combining these insights to provide a framework for how responsible innovation of large technological systems can be implemented in practice.
The book will be of particular interest to undergraduate and postgraduate students and researchers in technology and innovation management, and corporate governance, CSR and business ethics.
- Introduction: Exploring responsible innovation of large technological systems in society
- Responsible innovation in the hydraulic engineering sector
- Responsible innovation for smart metering: An illustrative case study
- Frames of reference and the interpretation of values in the Dutch shale gas debate
- Responsible innovation of nuclear energy technologies: Social experiments, intergenerational justice, and emotions
- Can frugal innovations be responsible innovations?
- How responsible was innovation in subsequent wind power episodes?
- Responsible port innovation in the Dutch delta: the Maasvlakte 2 port extension project
- How do we judge the responsibility (or otherwise) of research and innovation?
Capital, Aristotle, and the neglected factor: freedom
- Conclusions: What is responsible innovation and how to do it?
J.R. Ortt, I.R. van de Poel, D.C. van Putten, L.M. Kamp
P.H.A.J.M. van Gelder, N. Doorn, J.G. de Gijt
G. van de Kaa, P.M. Herder, A. Ligtvoet, Z. Lukszo
M. Dignum, U. Pesch, A.F. Correljé
B. Taebi, S. Roeser, I.R. van de Poel
C.P. van Beers, P. Knorringa, A.H.M. Leliveld
J.R. Ortt, L.M. Kamp, R.W. Kunneke
C.W.M. Naastepad, J.M. Mulder
J.R. Ortt, D.C. van Putten, L.M. Kamp, I.R. van de Poel