Revisiting Modern Indian Thought
Themes and Perspectives
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after August 31, 2021
This book presents a comprehensive account of the socio-political thought of prominent modern Indian thinkers. It offers a clear understanding of the basic concepts and their contributions on contemporary issues.
· Explores the nature, scope, relevance, context and theoretical approaches of modern Indian political thought and overviews its development through an in-depth study of the lives and ideas of major thinkers.
· Examines critical themes such as nationalism, swaraj, democracy and state, liberalism, revolution, socialism, constitutionalism, secularism, satyagraha, swadeshi, nation-building, humanism, ethics in politics, democratic decentralisation, religion and politics, social transformation and emancipation, and social and gender justice under sections on liberal-reformist, moderate-Gandhian and leftist-socialist thought.
· Brings together insightful essays on Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, Dayananda Saraswati, Ramakrishna Paramhansa, Pandita Ramabai, Periyar E. V. Ramasamy, Jyotirao Govindrao Phule, Babasaheb Ambedkar, Dadabhai Naoroji, Gopal Krishna Gokhale, Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Subhas Chandra Bose, Ram Manohar Lohia, Babu Jagjivan Ram, Vinoba Bhave, Acharya Narendra Deva, Manabendra Nath Roy, and Jayaprakash Narayan.
· Traces different perspectives on the way India’s composite cultures, traditions and conditions influenced the evolution of their thought and legacy.
With its accessible style, this book will be useful to teachers, students and scholars of political science, modern Indian political thought, modern Indian history, and political philosophy. It will also interest those associated with exclusion studies, political sociology, sociology and South Asian studies.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Sudha Pai
Preface and Acknowledgements
Sanjukta Banerji Bhattacharya
Part I: Liberal–Reformist Thought
1. Ram Mohan Roy
2. Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar
Sibaji Pratim Basu
3. Dayānanda Saraswati
4. Jyotirao Govindrao Phule
Basanta Kumar Mallik
5. Ramakrishna Paramhansa
6. Pandita Ramabai
7. Periyar E. V. Ramasamy
8. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar
9. Jagjivan Ram
Part II: Moderate–Gandhian Thought
10. Dadabhai Naoroji
11. Gopal Krishna Gokhale
Abha Chauhan Khimta
12. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
13. Vinoba Bhave
Suratha Kumar Malik
Part III: Leftist–Socialist Thought
14. Manabendra Nath Roy
15. Narendra Deva
16. Jawaharlal Nehru
Surya Narayan Misra
17. Subhas Chandra Bose
18. Jayaprakash Narayan
Anand Kumar and Sipra Sagarika
19. Ram Manohar Lohia
Dev Nath Pathak and Divyendu Jha
Suratha Kumar Malik is Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India.
Ankit Tomar is Assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science, Lakshmibai College, University of Delhi, India.
"A well organised textbook on Indian Political Thought, written by reputed writers. It would be of immense help for students and civil services aspirants".
Prakash Chandra Sarangi, Former Vice-Chancellor, Ravenshaw University & Former Professor of Political Science, University of Hyderabad, India
"A long-awaited, timely and useful contribution for a very wide variety of audience".
Upendra Choudhury, Professor, Department of Political Science, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh & Former Member Secretary and Director, Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi, India
"Revisiting Modern Indian Thought is an important contribution to the field of Indian Political Thought. It attempts to cover major thinkers of modern India. The work of Suratha Kumar Malik and Ankit Tomar will be immensely helpful to students, researchers and teachers as it has widely covered the revised curricula (syllabi) of different Indian universities".
Shri Prakash Singh, Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
"Malik and Tomar have accomplished a truly academically rewarding endeavour by bringing together these brilliantly written assays about the political ideas of some of the greatest thinkers of modern India. A must-read for all those who may be interested in making sense of the idea of India".
Ashutosh Kumar, Lala Lajpat Rai Chair Professor of Political Science, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
"This edited volume is a commendable attempt to bring out a compendium not only to providing an overview of the major political thinkers of modern India but also proclaiming to revisit the liberal-reformist, Gandhian and socialist traditions of modern Indian thought. It is undoubtedly a readable and appreciable book of its kind".
Sanjeev Kumar Sharma, Vice-Chancellor, Mahatma Gandhi Central University, Motihari (Bihar) & General Secretary and Treasurer, Indian Political Science Association (IPSA), India