In this new book, bestselling author Barbara R. Blackburn and intervention expert Bradley S. Witzel show you how to develop rigorous RTI and MTSS programs that will support students and lead them to lasting success. Written in a clear, engaging style, Rigor in the RTI and MTSS Classroom combines an in-depth discussion of the issues facing at-risk and learning-disabled students with practical strategies for all teachers. You’ll discover how to:
- Improve academic and social-emotional performance with scaffolding and demonstration of learning techniques;
- Establish and teach class rules, expectations, and consequences;
- Use evidence-based activities to spark student discussion;
- Implement rigorous, research-based strategies for math, literacy, reading, and writing development;
- Assess student growth and encourage self-reflection.
- Form an MTSS leadership team to ensure that student needs are met across building and district levels.
Each chapter contains anecdotes from schools across the country as well as a variety of ready-to-use tools and activities. Many of the tools are offered as free eResources at www.routledge.com/9781138193383, so you can easily print and distribute them for classroom use.
Table of Contents
Meet the Authors
Chapter 1: Rigor and the MTSS Classroom
Chapter 2: Tiered Instruction
Chapter 3: Prevention Then Intervention
Chapter 4: Evidence-Based Instructional Strategies
Chapter 5: Evidence-Based Practices in Literacy
Chapter 6: Rigorous Assessment in the MTSS Classroom
Chapter 7: Behavior and Social Emotional Learning Through MTSS
Chapter 8: Working Together: The MTSS Leadership Team
Dr. Barbara R. Blackburn is the bestselling author of sixteen books and is a sought-after consultant. She was an award-winning professor at Winthrop University and has taught students of all ages.
Dr. Brad Witzel is an associate professor and the Special Education Program Coordinator in the College of Education at Winthrop University, and has worked as a classroom teacher and before that as a paraeducator in multiple secondary settings.
"This book is a must-have for practitioners currently implementing an RTI or MTSS framework in their schools. The authors have aptly translated the existing evidence base to provide numerous practical strategies and resources that will immediately increase rigor in the classroom."
- Matt Hoskins, Data Analyst and State Implementation Specialist, Exceptional Children Division, North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
"Rigor in the RTI and MTSS Classroom is groundbreaking in several facets! Finally, one place for educators to find practical information and strategies to use the next day around rigor, collaboration, data-based decision making, instructional strategies, and many more critical components of effective MTSS and RTI frameworks! The authors pull from REAL people doing REAL work within these frameworks every day, not just theory or past research. It puts educational leaders on notice that they are one of the most critical and greatest predictors of their school’s success! The reflection questions are also a great included tool, whether for an individual reader or a book study group. Great work, Dr. Blackburn and Dr. Witzel!!"
- Todd Wiedemann, MSEd, Assistant Director, Kansas MTSS