Robert Lepage is one of Canada’s foremost theatre authors and directors. His company, Ex Machina, has toured to international acclaim and he has lent his talents to areas as diverse as opera, film, solo performance and installation art. His most celebrated work blends acute personal narratives with bold global themes through collaborative and multimedia theatricality.
This book is the first to combine:
• An overview of the key phases in Lepage’s life and career
• An examination of the issues and questions pertinent to his work
• A discussion of The Dragons’ Trilogy as a paradigm of his working methods
• A variety of practical exercises designed to give an insight into Lepage’s creative process.
As a first step towards critical understanding, and as an initial exploration before going on to further, primary research, Routledge Performance Practitioners are of unbeatable value for today’s student.
Table of Contents
List of ﬁgures
- CULTURAL AND ARTISTIC BIOGRAPHY: ROBERT LEPAGE IN-BETWEEN WORLDS
- WRITINGS ON THE TECHNIQUES OF PERFOMANCE CREATION
- PERFORMANCE TEXT: THE DRAGONS’ TRILOGY
- PRACTICAL WORKSHOPS AND REHEARSAL TECHNIQUES
Aleksandar Saša Dundjerović is a Professor of Performing Arts at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire and a professional theatre director with international experience. His books include The Cinema of Robert Lepage: Poetics of Memory (2003), The Theatricality of Robert Lepage (2007), Brazilian Collaborative Theatre (2017) and Brazilian Performing Arts (2019).