This book focusses on rock indentation and importance of specific drilling/cutting energy as a performance indicator for drilling/rock cutting. It aids in designing of drill bit and cutting pick, through performance evaluation for a given geometry. It further covers stress distribution along three axes in rock during load application, correlation of specific energy with properties of rocks and statistical modeling to generate mathematical equation to estimate the specific energy indentation, including performance prediction by artificial neural network modeling. Presented models can be used to assess the specific energy in rock indentation from the physic-mechanical properties of rocks.
- Presents synthesis of rock indentation experiments and analyses.
- Deals with statistical modeling to generate mathematical equations to estimate the specific energy indentation from the rock parameters/properties.
- Discusses how to find the performance of drill and cutting bits during drilling or cutting operations through indentation test.
- Covers numerical modeling to explain stress distribution in rock during rock indentation.
- Includes artificial neural network concepts used in field of rock mechanics.
This book is aimed at researchers and graduate students in mining/geological engineering, mechanical engineering.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 2. Static Indentation and Impact Indentation Tests 3. Mechanics of Indentation Fracture 4. Indentation Stress Fields 5. Indentation of Rocks 6. Force-Penetration Curves of Indentation 7. Indentation Indices and their Correlation with Properties of Rocks 8. Specific Energy in Indentation 9. Development of Models To Predict Specific Energy 10. Numerical Modelling of Rock Indentation
Ch. S. N. Murthy joined NITK, Surathkal (formerly known as KREC, Surathkal) in August 1987 as a lecturer and presently working as professor in the Department of Mining Engineering. He did B.E. (Mining Engg.) from Kothagudem School of Mines, Osmina University in 1980. He joined in M/s. The Singareni Collieries Co. Ltd. In July 1980 and worked in underground coal mines for 5 year and 6 months. He got M.Tech (Mine Planning & Design) from Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad in 1987. He completed Ph.D in Mining Engineering from I.I.T, Kharagpur in 1999. His areas of interest for research are Rock Drilling, Mine Planning & Design, Underground Coal Mining, Ground Control, Mine Surveying and Rock Excavation Engineering. He actively involved in research activities and completed 4 R&D Projects as PI/CO-investigators and 1 project is in progress. He organised more than 20 training programmes/short term courses/workshops. He organised one National Seminar in 2008 and one International Symposium in 2010 jointly with DGMS. He guided 8 Ph.D. scholar and another 10 Ph.D. scholar are carrying out research work. He published more than 150 technical papers in International Journal/ National Journal/ International Symposium/ National Seminar. He visited USA, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, and Singapore. He is life member of The Institutions of Engineers (India), Mining Geological & Metallurgical Society of India and Mining Engineering Association of India (MEAI).