The Routledge Handbook of Banking and Finance in Asia brings together leading scholars, policymakers, and practitioners to provide a comprehensive and cutting-edge guide to Asia’s financial institutions, markets, and systems.
Part I provides a country-by-country overview of banking and finance in East, Southeast, and South Asia, including examples from China, Japan, Hong Kong, India, and Singapore.
Part II contains thematic chapters, covering topics such as commercial banking, development banking, infrastructure finance, stock markets, insurance, and sovereign wealth funds. It also includes examinations of banking regulation and supervision, and analyses of macroprudential regulation, capital flow management measures, and monetary policy. Finally, it provides new insights into topical issues such as SME, green, and Islamic finance.
This handbook is an essential resource for scholars and students of Asian economics and finance and for professionals working in financial markets in Asia.
1. Introduction: characteristics of Asian financial systems in comparative perspective, Peter J. Morgan, Ulrich Volz, and Naoyuki Yoshino
PART I Country Chapters
2. The development and transformation of the financial system in the People’s Republic of China, Damian Tobin and Ulrich Volz
3. Financial sector in Hong Kong, China, Andrew Sheng
4.Indian financial sector: structure, trends, and turns, Rakesh Mohan and Partha Roy
5. Development and shortcomings of Indonesia’s financial sector, Iwan J. Azis
6. Japan’s financial system and its challenges, Naoyuki Yoshino, Shinichi Nakabayashi and Peter J. Morgan
7. Banking and finance in the Republic of Korea, Kiseok Hong and Jong-Wha Lee
8. Financial system in Malaysia, Sukudhew Singh
9. The Philippine financial system: developments, challenges, and opportunities, Nestor Aldave Espenilla Jr.
10. Financial sector in Singapore, Hwee Kwan Chow and Sai Fan Pei
11. Banking and finance in Thailand, Yothin Jinjarak and Ulrich Volz
12. The financial economy of Viet Nam in an age of reform, 1986–2016, Quan Hoang Vuong
PART II Thematic Chapters
13. Commercial banking in Asia, Ilhyock Shim
14. Development banks in Asia: magic bullets that invariably disappoint, Vikram Nehru
15. Developing local currency bond markets in Asia, Cyn-Young Park
16. Asian stock markets, Jonathan A. Batten, Igor Loncarski, and Peter G. Szilágyi
17. Institutional investors and sovereign wealth funds in Asia, Choong Lyol Lee
18. Insurance markets in Asia, W. Jean Kwon
19. Infrastructure finance of Asia, Shubhomoy Ray
20. Financial inclusion in Asia, Peter J. Morgan
21. Remedies for mitigating Asian SMEs’ access-to-finance difficulties, Naoyuki Yoshino and Farhad Taghizadeh-Hesary
22. Monetary policy and central banking in Asia, Takatoshi Ito
23. Macroprudential regulation and capital flow management measures in Asia, Pornpinun Chantapacdepong
24. Capital flows and exchange rate policies, Joshua Aizenman and Hiro Ito
25. Financial integration in Asia, Hans Genberg
26. Banking regulation and supervision in Asia, Michael J. Zamorski
27. Fostering green finance for sustainable development in Asia, Ulrich Volz
28. An overview of Islamic banking and finance in Asia, Akbar Komijani and Farhad Taghizadeh-Hesary