This handbook provides a comprehensive overview of the assessment and management of potentially dangerous infectious diseases, quarantined pests, invasive (alien) species, living modified organisms and biological weapons, from a multitude of perspectives.
Issues of biosecurity have gained increasing attention over recent years but have often only been addressed from narrow disciplines and with a lack of integration of theoretical and practical approaches. The Routledge Handbook of Biosecurity and Invasive Species brings together both the natural sciences and the social sciences for a fully rounded perspective on biosecurity, shedding light on current national and international management frameworks with a mind to assessing possible future scenarios. With chapters focussing on a variety of ecosystems – including forests, islands, marine and coastal and agricultural land – as well as from the industrial scale to individual gardens, this handbook reviews the global state of invasions and vulnerabilities across a wide range of themes and critically analyses key threats and threatening activities, such as trade, travel, land development and climate change.
Identifying invasive species and management techniques from a regional to international scale, this book will be a key reference text for a wide range of students and academics in ecology, agriculture, geography, human and animal health and interdisciplinary environmental and security studies.
PART 1: Knowledges
1. Characterising Invasives: Stages of Invasion
Palma E., Mabey A.L., Vesk P.A. & Catford J.A.
2. What is an invasive alien species? Discord, dissent and denialism
3. Indigenous biosecurity: Past, Present and Future
Simon Lambert & Melanie Shadbolt
4. Geographies of Veterinary Knowledge and Practice
5. Watching the grass grow: how landholders learn to live with an invasive plant in conditions of uncertainty
Shaun McKiernan et al.
6. Understanding emerging infectious disease
PART 2: Thresholds
7. Forest ecosystems
Tommaso Sitzia et al.
8. Island ecosystems
9. Marine and coastal ecosystems
Elizabeth Cottier-Cook & Rebecca Giesler
10. Species invasions in freshwater ecosystems
11. ‘New’ recombinant ecologies and their implications - with insights from Britain
Ian D. Rotherham
12. Industrial agricultural environments
Rob Wallace et al.
13. Urbanisation and globally networked cities
14. Gardens: perspectives and practices in relation to plants in motion
Katarina Saltzman, Carina Sjöholm & Tina Westerlund
PART 3: Practices
15. National biosecurity regimes: plant and animal bio-politics in the UK and China
Damien Maye & Ray Chan
16. The Future of Biosecurity Surveillance
Evangeline Corcoran & Grant Hamilton
17. Risk assessment for Invasive Species
J. D. Mumford & M A Burgman
18. The Emergency Modality: From The Use Of Figures To The Mobilization Of Affects
Francisco Tirado, Enrique Baleriola & Sebastián Moya
19. Biosecurity in the life sciences
Limor Samimian-Darash & Ori Lev
20. Rewilding and invasion
Timothy Hodgetts & Jamie Lorimer