Asian transportation systems and services, as well as their usage, are fraught with challenges. This handbook therefore seeks to examine the possible solutions to the problems faced by the region. It illustrates the history of transportation development in Asia and provides a comprehensive overview of research on urban and intercity transport. Presenting an extensive literature review and detailed summaries of the major findings and methodologies, this book also offers suggestions for future research activities from top-level international researchers.
Written from an interdisciplinary perspective, the topics covered include:
- Transportation systems across Asia;
- Traffic accidents;
- Air pollution;
- Land use and logistics;
- Transport governance.
Considering the population and economic development scale, as well as the diverse cultures of Asia, the Routledge Handbook of Transport in Asia will be a valuable resource for students and scholars of transportation, Asian development and Asian Studies in general.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Transport in Asia, Junyi Zhang and Cheng-min FENG
Part I - Transportation systems in Asia
2. High Speed Railways in Asia, Cheng-min Feng, Jen-Jia Lin and Yun-Cheng Lai
3. The Asian Highway and Trans-Asian Railway Networks: Origins, Progress of Development and Prospects in the Future, A.S.M Abdul Quium
Part II - Accident, Pollution, Disaster
4. Road Traffic Safety in Asia: An Analysis based on DPSIR+C Framework, Ying Jiang and Junyi Zhang
5. Railway Accidents, Baohua Mao and Qi Xu
6. Maritime Accidents, Meifeng Luo and Sung-Ho Shin
7. Air Pollution and Transport in China and India, Lei Yu, Guohua Song and Xumei Chen
8. Transportation in Disasters: Lessons Learned from GEJE 2011, Makoto Okumura and Jinyoung Kim
Part III - Social Exclusion
9. Social Exclusion and Land Passenger Transport in Asia, Janet Stanley
10. Social Exclusion and the Place of Urban Passenger Transport in Developing Asian Countries, Perez Barbosa, Janet Stanley and Junyi Zhang
11. Social Exclusion and Transport in an Aging and Shrinking Society, Makoto Chikarashi, Janey Stanley, Akimasa Fujiwara and Junyi Zhang
Part IV - Land Use
12. Ensen Kaihatsu (Railway Area Developments) in Japan: A Comparison with Transit-Oriented Development (TOD), Mamoru Taniguchi
13. Urban Development along Rails in Other Asian Regions, Ming Zhang
14. An Overview of Asian Studies on Transport and Land Use, Hajime Seya and Harry Timmermans
Part V - Logistics
15. City Logistics in Asia, Eiichi Taniguchi and Ali Gul Qureshi
16. Railway Freight Transport and Logistics, Guo Quan Li, Bo Liang Lin and Hitoshi Tsunoda
17. Air Cargo Transport and Logistics in Hong Kong and Southern China, Yulai Wan and Anming Zhang
18. Benchmarking, Efficiency Measurement, and Productivity Analysis for Aviation Sector in Asia, Yuichiro Yoshida
Part VI - Governance
19. Financing Mechanisms for Transport Infrastructure and Services, Hideaki Iwasaki
20. Social Capacity Building for Environmental Management Related to Transport Sector: A Broader Perspective, Junyi Zhang
21. Development Assistance to Transportation in Asian Developing Countries, Hironori Kato
Junyi Zhang is a Professor at the Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation, Hiroshima University, Japan.
Cheng-Min Feng is a Professor in the Department of Transportation and Logistics Management at National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan.