The volumes in this set, originally published between 1940 and 1994, draw together research by leading academics in the area of welfare and the state, and provide a rigorous examination of related key issues. The volume examines the concepts of welfare in relation to the state through the areas of policy making, social administration, class division and social inequality, social policy and privatization, whilst also exploring the general principles and practices of the welfare state in various countries. This set will be of particular interest to students of sociology, politics, economics, social work respectively.
Table of Contents
1. Approaches to Welfare, edited by Philip Bean and Stewart MacPherson.
2. Theories of Welfare, Anthony Forder, Terry Caslin, Geoffrey Ponton and Sandra Walklate
3. Social Security and Society, Victor George
4. Social Security: Beveridge and After, Victor George
5. Not Only the Poor: the Middle Classes and the Welfare State, Victor George
6. Social Welfare and the Failure of the State: Centralised Social Services and Participatory Alternatives, Roger Hadley, Stephen Hatch
7. The Unemployment Services. A Report Prepared for the Fabian Society, Polly Hill
8. Self Help in Health and Social Welfare: England and West Germany, edited by Stephen Humble and Judith Unell.
9. Automatic Poverty, Bill Jordan
10. Freedom and the Welfare State, Bill Jordan
11. Paupers: The Making of the New Claiming Class, Bill Jordan
12. Privatisation and the Welfare State, edited by Julian Le Grand and Ray Robinson
13. The Strategy of Equality: Redistribution and the Social Services, Julian Le Grand
14. The Role of Voluntary Organisations in Social Welfare, Hugh W. Mellor
15. Contradictions of the Welfare State, Claus Offe edited by John Keane
16. The Politics of the Welfare State, edited by Ann Oakley & A. Susan Williams
17. Welfare State and Welfare Society: Illusion and Reality, William A. Robson
18. The Welfare State: Its Aims, Benefits and Costs, John Frederick Sleeman
19. Sociology and Social Welfare, Michael Sullivan
20. The Origins of British Social Policy, edited by Pat Thane
21. Social Welfare: Why and How?, edited by Noel Timms.
22. Talking About Welfare, edited by Noel Timms and David Watson
23. The Unservile State. Essays in Liberty and Welfare, edited by George Grimes Watson.
24. Pressure for the Poor: the Poverty Lobby and Policy Making, Paul Whiteley and Stephen Winyard