Salted Paper Printing
A Step-by-Step Manual Highlighting Contemporary Artists
Salted Paper Printing: A Step-by-Step Manual Highlighting Contemporary Artists makes one of the oldest known photographic processes easy for the 21st century using simple digital negative methods.
Christina Z. Anderson’s in-depth discussion begins with a history of salted paper printing, then covers the salted paper process from beginner to intermediate level, with step-by-step instructions and an illustrated troubleshooting guide. Including cameraless imagery, hand-coloring, salt in combination with gum, and printing on fabric, Salted Paper Printing contextualizes the practice within the varied alternative processes. Anderson offers richly-illustrated profiles of contemporary artists making salted paper prints, discussing their creative process and methods.
Salted Paper Printing is perfect for the seasoned photographer looking to dip their toe into alternative processes, or for the photography student eager to engage with photography’s rich history.
Table of Contents
1. A Brief History of Salted paper
2. Talbot’s Original "Photogenic Drawing" Process
Part 1: Salted Paper Step-by-Step
3. Setting up the Salted Paper "Dimroom"
4. Digital Negatives for Salted Paper
5. Salted and Sensitizing the Paper
6. Exposing, Processing and Toning the Salted Paper Print
7. An Illustrated Guide to Troubleshooting Salted Paper
8. Printing Gum Over Salted Paper
9. Hand-coloring Salted Paper and other creative ideas
10. Finishing, Framing, and Storing Salted Paper
Part 2: Contemporary Salted Paper Artists
11. Contemporary Salted Paper Artists
Christina Z. Anderson’s work has shown nationally and internationally in 100+ shows and 40+ publications. She is author of The Experimental Photography Workbook, Gum Printing and Other Amazing Contact Printing Processes, Gum Printing: A Step-by-Step Manual Highlighting Artists and Their Creative Practice, and co-author with Samuel Wang, S. Carl King, and Zhong Jianming of Handcrafted: The Art and Practice of the Handmade Print (Chinese). Anderson is Associate Professor of Photography at Montana State University, Bozeman. To see her work, visit christinaZanderson.com.