306 pages | 412 Color Illus.
Salted Paper Printing: A Step-by-Step Manual Highlighting Contemporary Artists makes one of the oldest known photographic processes easy for the 21st century using simple digital negative methods.
Christina Z. Anderson’s in-depth discussion begins with a history of salted paper printing, then covers the salted paper process from beginner to intermediate level, with step-by-step instructions and an illustrated troubleshooting guide. Including cameraless imagery, hand-coloring, salt in combination with gum, and printing on fabric, Salted Paper Printing contextualizes the practice within the varied alternative processes. Anderson offers richly-illustrated profiles of contemporary artists making salted paper prints, discussing their creative process and methods.
Salted Paper Printing is perfect for the seasoned photographer looking to dip their toe into alternative processes, or for the photography student eager to engage with photography’s rich history.
1. A Brief History of Salted paper
2. Talbot’s Original "Photogenic Drawing" Process
Part 1: Salted Paper Step-by-Step
3. Setting up the Salted Paper "Dimroom"
4. Digital Negatives for Salted Paper
5. Salted and Sensitizing the Paper
6. Exposing, Processing and Toning the Salted Paper Print
7. An Illustrated Guide to Troubleshooting Salted Paper
8. Printing Gum Over Salted Paper
9. Hand-coloring Salted Paper and other creative ideas
10. Finishing, Framing, and Storing Salted Paper
Part 2: Contemporary Salted Paper Artists
11. Contemporary Salted Paper Artists
The Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography series focuses the lens on a variety of alternative, historical processes from the medium’s 180-year history. Each book outlines a step-by-step approach to a particular medium, and features contemporary artists who use that particular process regularly in their practice. The richly illustrated books in this series serve as guidebooks for those new to alternative processes, refresher courses for professionals already familiar with each medium, and a source of inspiration for all.