There is an important overlap between science and design. The most significant technological developments cannot be produced without designers to conceptualize them. By the same token, designers cannot do their job properly without a good understanding of the scientific or technical principles that are being developed within the product. Science in Design: Solidifying Design with Science and Technology reveals the significance of the essential yet understudied intersection of design and scientific academic research and encompasses technological development, scientific principles, and the point of overlap between science and design.
- Encourages readers to comprehend the role of science in all facets of design
- Discusses the fundamental involvement of science required for engineering and design irrespective of whether the design is from an individual, business, or social perspective
- Covers the ontology, characteristics, and application of science in major fields of design education and design research, with an introduction of emerging practices transforming sustainable growth through applied behavioral models
- Depicts the art and science of material selection using new design techniques and technology advances like augmented reality, AI, and decision-support toolkits
This unique book will benefit scientists, technologists, and engineers, as well as designers and professionals, across a variety of industries dealing with scientific analysis of design research methodology, design lifecycle, and problem solving.
Table of Contents
1. General Aspects of Science, Design, and Engineering.
2. Design Science and Research Methodology.
3. Art of Science in Fashion Design and Technology.
4. Science in Textile Design.
5. Innovative Graphics - Enabling Change by Thinking Science.
6. Sixth Sense: Panoply for Design in Digital.
Tarun Grover is Assistant Professor, MIT-ADT University, India, in the department of fashion design. A postgraduate (M-Tech) in Textile Chemistry with specialisation in material studies and textile, Mr. Grover has worked with various universities of repute, technical research organizations, and government agencies for numerous projects. He is an alumni of TIT&S Bhiwani, an institution established in 1943, and renowned for its state-of-the art research initiatives and higher education in Textile & Fashion Design Fraternity. He is a life associate member of TAI – Textile Association of India, and also a member of World Design Organization -WDO, Canada.
Mugdha Thareja is a research enthusiast and qualified professional in the field of computer science and information technology. A postgraduate (M-Tech) in Computer Science Engineering with a specialization in software engineering and image processing, Mugdha Thareja has around seven years of combined experience in academic research and education and the IT sector. She has served various premier engineering and higher education institutions in India as an academic faculty and has done research and publishing projects on the multidisciplinary approach. She possesses niche experience holding responsible positions at IT companies of global repute, including Genpact and e Software Solutions. She has offered her services as a consultant and instructional designer for various government projects sponsored by NABARD, TSSC, and NSDC in the field of technical education, skill development, and women empowerment. Her specialized areas of interest include software engineering, research methodologies, design research, agile methodology, human–computer interaction, user experience and multimedia, web technologies, and software project management.