Second Language Pragmatics: From Theory to Research aims to reinvigorate this field, pointing the way forward to new methodologies that can drive, or be driven by, new theoretical developments. With a unique combination of leading international expertise in general pragmatics, L2 pragmatics, and research methodology, the authors describe in detail the methods, including the most recent techniques, by which pragmatics of all types can be pursued in L2 contexts. This volume argues that L2 pragmatics research needs to expand from its initial base by drawing from a wider range of sources, such as Corpus Linguistics and Psycholinguistics. Clear, accessible, and practical, Second Language Pragmatics will be valuable to novice and seasoned researchers alike in second language pragmatics, general pragmatics, and second language acquisition courses.
1. Introduction to Second Language Pragmatics
2. Language production: The conceptual background
3. L2 pragmatic production: Data elicitation methods
4. Language comprehension and awareness: Conceptual background
5. Data Elicitation Methods in L2 Pragmatic Comprehension and Awareness
6. Interaction: Conceptual background
7. Data elicitation methods in L2 Pragmatic Interaction