Semantics is an accessible and practical introduction to formal semantics, the study of linguistic meaning, for students new to the subject. Semantics:
* shows how meanings are built up and interrelated
* presupposes very little prior knowledge of grammar or linguistic terminology
* includes a glossary of technical terms
* provides a progression of exercises with answers given at the back
* backs up the activities with short, clear explanations
* includes an appendix on sets and functions.
Routledge Language Workbooks provide absolute beginners with practical introductions to core areas of language study. Books in the series provide comprehensive coverage of the area as well as a basis for further investigation. Each Language Workbook guides the reader through the subject using 'hands-on' language analysis, equipping them with the basic analytical skills needed to handle a wide range of data. Written in a clear and simple style, with all technical concepts fully explained, Language Workbooks can be used for independent study or as part of a taught class. Language Workbooks: