Want to know a secret? Regardless of what classroom challenges, standards or initiatives you’re faced with from year to year, there are seven keys to great teaching that never change—and that are often overlooked! In this bestselling book, internationally-acclaimed authors Annette Breaux and Todd Whitaker reveal the seven simple secrets of effective teaching that can be applied in any classroom. Whether you’re a new or experienced teacher, you’ll gain valuable insights on improving instruction, classroom management, discipline, student motivation, and much, much more! This updated Second Edition contains timely topics such as incorporating technology to enhance your lessons and using social media appropriately.
- Easy-to-use format: The book is divided into seven secrets shared by highly effective teachers. Each secret is then divided into seven parts filled with practical information on why the secret matters and how to implement it effectively.
- Reflection questions: At the end of each section, there are seven questions to help you determine whether you have mastered each secret.
- Bonus lists: This special new section contains lists on the qualities of effective teaching and why these qualities matter. These lists can be copied and used during book studies, PLC meetings, or staff meetings to provoke thoughtful discussions and enhance teaching and learning.
- Study guide: A study guide is available to help you extend your learning independently or with colleagues. www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138783621
- Companion website: For more inspiring, informative books from Todd and Annette, check out our special site, www.routledge.com/cw/breaux, going live this summer.
Throughout the book, you’ll find practical examples and heartfelt advice to encourage you as you implement the seven secrets. As you improve your teaching, you profoundly influence the lives of those who matter most—your students!
About the Authors
How to Use This Book
What This Book Will Do for You
Secret One: The Secret of Planning
Secret Two: The Secret of Classroom Management
Secret Three: The Secret of Instruction
Secret Four: The Secret of Attitude
Secret Five: The Secret of Professionalism
Secret Six: The Secret of Effective Discipline
Secret Seven: The Secret of Motivation and Inspiration
"What a powerful and necessary book for educators at all levels. I literally could not put the book down once I started reading it. Once again, Annette Breaux and Todd Whitaker have written a masterpiece!"
--Principal Baruti Kafele, Renowned School Leader, Speaker, and Consultant
"A fantastic read, loaded with advice you can take straight to the classroom. Perfect for a staff book read, with useful strategies, reflective questions, sage advice, and a heavy focus on relationships. Love the integration of technology and the proper use of social media. My next staff read!"
--Tom Whitford, Award-Winning Elementary School Principal, Tomah, Wisconsin
"Teachers at all stages of their career will find gems of greatness in this book. Each chapter is broken down into manageable bites, with concrete, easy-to-use advice for improving instruction. I'm so glad Breaux and Whitaker let their secrets out of the bag!"
--Amber Teamann, Educational Blogger, Speaker, and Assistant Principal at Watson Elementary, Texas
"Another ‘go to’ book by Annette Breaux and Todd Whitaker! Seven Simple Secrets: What the BEST Teachers Know and Do! provides very practical (and useful) steps that will help all educators remember why they chose education as their profession!" --Peter DeWitt, Ed.D., Internationally-Recognized Elementary School Principal, Author, and Speaker
"Another absolute winner from Breaux and Whitaker. For any teacher who wants to be highly effective, having this book as a reference and reading it over and over is a must. Definitely a book you want on your shelf — no strike that, you want at your fingertips."
--Laura Von Staden, Middleweb
"For more than a decade, I have been putting Todd Whitaker’s ideas into practice and experiencing positive results in our school community. In Seven Simple Secrets, Whitaker teams up with Annette Breaux and together they deliver insightful and practical information that helps good teachers become great teachers!"
--Jimmy Casas, Education Speaker and Principal of Bettendorf High School, Iowa
"As a veteran teacher and someone who mentors new teachers, I just love reading and rereading this book. It helps keep me fresh, renews my passion in teaching, inspires me to self-reflect on my teaching practice, and is a great resource to share with our new-to-teaching colleagues."
--Laurie Wasserman, Middleweb