254 pages | 23 B/W Illus.
Diverse sex, gender, and sexual identities historically have been pushed to the margins in sport. While there is more visibility and inclusion for LGBTIQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer) people in sport today than in the past, there still exists bigotry and marginalization.
In this book, Vikki Krane and a team of leading sport scholars critically assess what we know about sex, gender, and sexuality in sport; expose areas in need of further inquiry; and offer new avenues for theory, research, and practice. Drawing on cultural studies perspectives, and with social justice at the heart of every chapter, the book discusses theory, policy, practice, and the experiences of LGBTIQ people in sport.
Sex, Gender, and Sexuality in Sport is an important read for undergraduate and postgraduate students in any class with content on LGBTIQ people in sport, but particularly for those studying sport and gender, sexuality and sport, LGBT studies, psychology of gender, contemporary issues in sport, sociology of gender, and sport and higher education. It is also a vital resource for scholars who conduct research in the area of LGBTIQ people in sport.
1. Introduction: LGBTIQ People in Sport
Part 1: Conceptual Frameworks
2. Four Perspectives for Understanding LGBTIQ People in Sport
Jennifer J. Waldron
3. Using Intersectionality to Study and Understand LGBTIQ People in Sport
Dafina-Lazarus (D-L) Stewart
4. Negotiating Gender Among LGBTIQ Athletes: Sport as a Space for Disruption and Reproduction
Kerrie J. Kauer and Lauren Rauscher
Part 2: Sexual Orientation and Sport
5. Inclusion or Illusion? Lesbians’ Experiences in Sport
Mallory Mann and Vikki Krane
6. Conceptualizing Gay Men in Sport
Elizabeth S. Cavalier
7. Focusing on the B in LGBTIQ: Bisexual Athletes and Sport
Katie Sullivan Barak
8. Sports Administration: Heteronormative Presents, Queer Futures
Kristine E. Newhall and Nefertiti A. Walker
Part 3: Gender Identity and Sport
9. Making Space: Transgender Athletes
Tamar Z. Semerjian
10. Transgender Kids and Sport Participation
Part 4: Intersex Variations and Sport
11. Sex Control in Women’s Sport: A History of the Present Regulations on Hyperandrogenism in Female Athletes
L. Dawn Bavington
12. Fair Play: Intersex Variations and Sport
Vikki Krane and Brandy Panunti
Part 5: Conclusion
13. Creating a New Sport Culture: Reflections on Queering Sport
Vikki Krane and Heather Barber