This book explains the concept of wearable computing, need for wearable technology, its advantages, application areas, state of art developments in this area, required material and technology, possible future applications including cyborg developments and the need for this sphere of influence in the future. The scope encompasses three major components, wearable computing (next generation of conventional computing, ergonomics), wearable technology (medical support, rehabilitation engineering, assistive technology support devices, army/combat usage) and allied technologies (miniature components, reliability, high performance integration, cyber physical systems, robotics).
- Aids reader to recognize the need and functional operations of a wearable computing device
- Includes diversified examples and case studies from different domains
- Presents a hybrid concept relating medical care and augmented reality
- Illustrates product level description examples and research ideas for future development
- Introduces various wearable technologies and other related technologies for enabling wearable computing
This book is aimed at senior undergraduate, graduate students and researchers in computer and biomedical engineering, bioinstrumentation, biosensors, and assistive technology.
Table of Contents
1. Basic Wearable Computing Requirements and Advantages
2. Ergonomics and Its Benefits
3. Applications of Wearable Technology
4. Simple User Interface Design for Wearable Computing and Wearable Technology
5. Materials and Components (Constructing a Simple Wearable Technology Device)
6. Assistive Technology and WT
7. Security Technology and WT
8. Strategic Operation Technology and WT
9. Software and Power Requirements of WT
10. Higher-Order Human–Robot Interface
11. Soft Cyborgs and Cyber Physical systems by WT
Professor Dr Andrews Samraj is Director of the research group Wearable computing and non invasive cyborgs in Mahendra College of Engineering. He has completed his Brain Computer Research from Multimedia University Malaysia, and His post doctorate is from Hellenic naval academy and WSEAS, of Greece. With his 22+ years of experience as an academician in India and abroad, he has conducted many international forums on wearable computing around the globe. The novel, simplified and cost effective technologies invented by him over a decade will surely facilitate the transforming process of intensive research out comes into attractive wearable computing products. He has been recognized internationally as an Indian scientist who contributed immensely to the field of rehabilitation and security for the paralyzed, bedridden, physically challenged and seriously ill patients in a non-invasive way of ability augmentation for the improvement of their quality of life. His Innovations in this area won the NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum Award 2017*, the nation’s highest award of this category. He received further awards from IBM in year 2005 and 2006 for his projects. He is the recipient of “Distinguished Professor” award from AIRF and The best Engineering Teacher Award for the year 2017 from ISTE. His patent application for a biomedical engineering product was Published in India, in 2018. He has received various funding grants from India and abroad for his research projects, supported and recognized by agencies including UGC and MSME.