This second edition of Small Animal Cytologic Diagnosis presents clinically applicable information about the use of cytology in small animals and indicates when advanced diagnostic testing can be beneficial to diagnose underlying disease processes. It includes more images, additional cases, and a new user-friendly chapter organization.
The book discusses the pathophysiology of inflammation, cancer biology and comparisons to histology to help readers fully comprehend the cytologic changes that can occur with inflammation and neoplasia. Also covered are some of the limitations and advantages of cytology compared to histopathology, important gross findings (e.g., body cavity effusions), and parasites and the associated diagnostic methods required. Further information is provided on oncogenes, reference values for effusions and bone marrow aspirates, laboratory handling of samples, and how to carry out certain diagnostics. The book:
- includes chapters written by experts from around the world.
- provides multiple cytological images for the same sample, providing different views of what may be seen.
- uses technical language where appropriate but without overcomplicating the information presented: it is very accessible and easy to understand.
The book includes tissue-specific chapters focusing on diseases of a particular area, always in comparison to normal tissue. Each of these chapters concludes with various cases that include information on signalment, history, pertinent laboratory data, specimen images, final outcome and the underlying pathology causing the cytologic lesions, when possible. With more than 2000 superb illustrations, this comprehensive resource provides ample practical information for students as well as practicing veterinarians.
About the editors.
List of contributors.
- Sample Acquisition and Preparation - Anne Barger and Laura Garrett
- General Principles of inflammation - Amy MacNeill
- Cancer Biology - Timothy M. Fan
- Cytology of Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue - Indira Pargass and Samantha Schlemmer
- Cytology of Lymphoid Tissue - Stefano Comazzi and Amy MacNeill
- Cytology of the oral cavity - Melinda Camus
- Cytology of the gastrointestinal tract - Elena Gorman
- Cytology of the pancreas - Catherine Trumel, Marie-Noëlle Lucas, Catherine Layssol, Fanny Granat, and Nathalie Bourgès-Abella
- Cytology of the liver - A Russell Moore
- Cytology of the urinary tract - Julie Webb and Ashleigh Newman
- Cytology of the male and female reproductive system - Amy MacNeill
- Cytology of the musculoskeletal system - Amy Schnelle
- Cytology of the respiratory tract - Amelia Goddard
- Cytology of the central nervous system - Mike Rosser and Chandler Carter
- Cytology of Effusions - Ilse Schwendenwein
- Cytology of the endocrine system - Sara Connolly
- Cytology of the eye and adnexa - Anne Barger and Samantha Lee
- Cytology of the ear - Cheryl Moller, Jennifer Neel, and Marcie Murphy
- Cytology of bone marrow - Emmiline Tan and Dorothee Bienzle