For a newly appointed principal or assistant principal, this book describes the skills and talents necessary to meet the demands on today's school leaders. It provides step-by-step details about
- what to do
- when to do it
- and how to do it.
Each chapter includes
- Survival Tips (practical, savvy advice)
- When Do I Begin? (to help principals plan and schedule)
- Practical advice based on the realities of school leadership
- and more
About the Author
1. Preparing for Your Assignment: The Journey Begins
2. Building Background: Separating the Forest from the Trees
3. Establishing a Collaborative Environment: I Am Now an Administrator-I Have Keys, I Have an Office. But Where Am I?
4. Expecting and Handling the Unimaginable: Crisis vs. Conflict--Triage and Bandages
5. Getting and Keeping Organized: Working Smarter, Not Harder
6. Understanding and Establishing Positive Relationships: Building Trust--I Was a Teacher Once, but Who Are These People?
7. Studying and Learning Through Observations: Where Is Everyone--Same Book, Same Chapter, Same Page, or on Another Planet?
8. Utilizing Data and Standardized Testing to Make Decisions: The Testing Plan--Stakes Are high, but It Is Not My Fault, Yet!
9. School Improvement Plans, Staff Evaluations, Budgets and Master Schedules: The Final Stretch Conclusion Appendix A: The Overwhelmed Administrator: This Can Occur at Any Time to Anyone--Recognize It!
Appendix B: 10 Big Ones: Key Survival Tips