This volume is the first of its kind to discuss social welfare issues using case studies from a broad range of Southern European countries, both large and small, a decade after the financial crisis. It identifies similarities and differences in the ways in which Southern European countries engage with specific welfare issues and examines whether Southern European welfare is distinct from that of the rest of the continent. The book also engages with the impact of COVID-19 on the social welfare issues under investigation. The volume is divided into four sections, each examining in detail issues including employment, education, health, sexuality, globalization, social movements and migration.
With its contributions from experts in the field, the volume is recommended for academics, researchers and students of sociology, social policy, economics, education, politics and social movements.
Table of Contents
- Social Welfare in Southern Europe: Review of the Literature and Emerging Issues , Michael Briguglio and Maria Brown
- The welfare state under pressure: The case of Greece, Mark Baimbridge and Dzheren Khadzhieva
- Beyond the liminal and austerity welfare state: A critical analysis of social policy in Cyprus, Nicos Trimikliniotis and Sophia Stavrou
- The activation of employment policy in Southern Europe: The case of Portugal and the translation of external pressures into policies and processes, Carla Valadas
- From Paper to Practice: Reflections on Access to Labour Justice in Italy, Portugal and Spain, Luca Verzelloni
- "Quality Education, Social Cohesion and Active Labour Market Policies: A Comparative Analysis of Two Mediterranean Island States", Mark Anthony Camilleri, Andreas Hadjichambis and Demetra Hadjichambi
- The impact of austerity policies on health systems in Southern Europe, Natasha Azzopardi-Muscat, Walter Ricciardi and Martin McKee
- Sun, sea and sex: A comparative study of sexuality education policies in Southern Europe, Joanne Cassar
- Reproductive politics: Policy responses to teenage pregnancy and motherhood, Andreana Dibben
- The Impact of Recent Global Social Movements of Southern Europe on Public Awareness of Democracy and Human Rights in the European Union: a Techno political approach, Jesús Sabariego
- Saving migrants in the Mediterranean Sea: Interaction between States and Non-Governmental Organizations, Michael Briguglio and Maria Brown
- Conclusion, Michael Briguglio and Maria Brown
Maria Brown, Lecturer, Department of Arts, Open Communities & Adult Education, University of Malta.
Michael Briguglio, Senior Lecturer, Department of Sociology, University of Malta.