This book offers a global perspective of the current state of affairs in the field of solar power engineering. In four parts, this well-researched volume informs about:
- Established solar PV (photovoltaic) technologies
- Third-generation PV technologies based on new materials with potential for low-cost large-scale production
- Solar cell technology based on new (third-generation) concepts, such as quantum dot solar cells and nano wire solar cells using silicon and compound semiconductors
- Economic implications and effects, as well as policies and incentives in various countries of the world involved with solar energy implementation
In addition to discussing manufacturing facts and implementation issues, this book emphasizes the implications of policy measures in countries with good PV activity, such as Japan, China, India, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, the United States, and Canada. This volume is intended as a reference for a global audience of advanced students and R&D and industry professionals, as well as investors and policy-makers with fundamental knowledge of photovoltaic technology.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction. 2. Silicon solar cells. 3. Polycrystalline CIGS and CdTe thin film solar cells. 4. Organic and dye-sensitized solar cells. 5. High-efficiency solar devices. 6. New concepts based solar cells. 7. Policies and Incentives.
Dr. P. Jayarama Reddy is an energy consultant to the solar photovoltaic industry and serves as a board member of several international renewable energy companies related to solar module fabrication, power generation from biomass and municipal solid waste. He is a retired professor of Physics (Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupathi, India) and has worked in various big research laboratories at Cornell University (US), Imperial College London (UK), Charles University (Czech Republic), and Stuttgart University (Germany). Dr. Reddy is a Fellow of the Institute of Physics (UK) and has published a number of papers on polycrystalline thin fi lm solar materials and cells, as well as the book Science and Technology of Photovoltaics, published by BS Publications / CRC Press/Balkema.