About the Book
This latest seventeenth edition of South America, Central America and the Caribbean is scrupulously revised and updated, bringing you impartial and comprehensive coverage of this vast area.
- an unrivalled survey on the countries and territories of this immense region
- includes contributions from acknowledged authorities who examine topics of regional importance.
Thoroughly revised and updated analytical articles written by acknowledged experts covering issues of regional importance are examined by acknowledged authorities of the area, subjects covered include: The Many Faces of the Left in Latin America; Gender Development in Latin America; Judicial Politics in Latin America; The Emergence of the People’s Republic of China in Latin America: Trade, Investment and Development; Trade Preferences and Caribbean Economies; Gangs of Central America; New for this edition – The Politics of Energy in Latin Amerca; Caribbean Overseas Territories in a Changing World.
Individual chapters on each country and territory incorporating:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the history and economy of each country, as well as physical and social geographies of each country, including maps
- an extensive economic and demographic survey of the latest available statistics on area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
- a full directory section with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail and internet addresses covering the constitution, government, legislature, judiciary, political organizations, diplomatic representation, religious groups, the media, finance, trade and industry, tourism, defence and education
- a select bibliography, containing suggestions for further research.
- includes full details of all major international organizations active in the region; a detailed survey of major commodities in Latin America; a directory of research institutes specializing in the region; select bibliographies of books and periodicals and an index of regional organizations.
'Remains an exemplary reference work for students of the area.' - International Affairs
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- REFERENCE / General