The latest addition to Europa's highly praised and valued Regional Surveys of the World series, South Asia 2005 provides an in-depth library of information on the countries and territories of the region.
Exhaustively researched by Europa's experienced editorial team, this title includes a vast range of up-to-date economic, political and statistical data. Combining impartial analysis with facts and figures, South Asia 2005 provides a unique overall perspective on this increasingly important region.
The book is divided into three sections:
A General Survey
* This contains introductory essays by key specialists providing impartial coverage of issues of regional importance including security and religion. Essays include: Globalization and Human Development Issues in South Asia - C. Rammanohar Reddy, Deputy Editor, The Hindu, Chennai, India; Corruption and the Challenges to Good Governance in South Asia - Mushtaq Khan, Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics, School of Oriental and African Studies, London, United Kingdom; Environmental Issues in South Asia - Gouranga Dasvarma, Senior Lecturer and Director, Graduate Program in Population and Human Resources and Master of Environmental Management Program, School of Geography, Population and Environmental Management, Flinders University, Adelaide, SA, Australia; Current Security Issues - Rohan Gunaratna, Associate Professor, Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies, Nanyang Technical University, Singapore; Religions in South Asia - Geoffrey Parrinder, Emeritus Professor of the Comparative Study of Religions, University of London, United Kingdom.
* Detailed coverage of the eight countries of South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, The Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
* Up-to-date statistical surveys including the latest available figures on population and area, agriculture, industry, trade, transport, communications, media and education
* A directory section of essential contact names, postal addresses and e-mail and internet addresses.
* A biographical section profiling prominent figures in the South Asian region
* Directory details of research institutes studying the area and a select book and periodicals bibliography.