South Asia 2012
South Asia 2012 is an in-depth library of information on the countries and territories of this vast world region. Exhaustively researched by Europa's experienced editorial team, this ninth edition of the title includes a vast range of up-to-date economic, socio-political and statistical data. Combining impartial analysis with facts and figures, South Asia 2012 gives a unique overall perspective on this increasingly important region.
New Features for 2012:
- all essays and chapters fully revised and updated for this edition, with the addition of a brand new essay looking at Islamism as a political force in the region
- new expert contributors bring a fresh perspective to essays on the recent history of Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka, and those on the economies of Bhutan and India
- coverage of recent events in the region, including the phased handover of security responsibility from the International Security Assistance Force to the domestic security forces in Afghanistan, and political developments following recent state elections in India
- information on new phenomena such as the impact of political and sectarian violence in Pakistan, and the protracted struggle to form a new Government and Constitution in Nepal
- fully updated statistical information including provisional details of the 2011 census of India.
The book is divided into three sections:
- introductory essays by key specialists provide impartial coverage of issues of regional importance. Essays include: The USA's AfPak Strategy; Corruption and Governance in South Asia; Current Security Issues in South Asia; Forced Migration in South Asia; India as an Emerging Superpower; the Religions of South Asia; Political Islam in South Asia; and Population and Environmental Issues in South Asia.
Detailed coverage of the eight countries of South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. In addition, there are separate sections covering each of the states and territories of India.
Each chapter contains:
- information on physical and social geography
- essays covering political history and the economy
- up-to-date statistical surveys, including the latest available figures on area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications and media, and education
- a comprehensive directory section providing essential contact names, addresses, and e-mail and internet details in key areas such as government, political organizations, diplomatic representation, the judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade and industry (including major companies), transport, tourism, defence and education.
- a select bibliography.
- a biographical section profiling prominent figures in the South Asian region
- a survey of the most important industrial and agricultural commodities in the region
- detailed information on selected regional and international organizations
- directory details of research institutes studying the area
- select bibliographies of relevant books and periodicals.
'Contains a surprising amount of detail and facts on the South Asia region - information which would take a considerable amount of time to gather from other sources. This volume provides an excellent overview of the social and economic challenges faced by the region' - Reference Reviews