Spanish Grammar in Context provides an accessible and stimulating approach to learning grammar. Authentic texts are used to illustrate and explain the key areas of Spanish grammar, followed by a range of exercises to help students reinforce and test their understanding. An answer key is also presented at the back of the book.
- A rich variety of texts sourced from all over the Spanish-speaking world, including excerpts from contemporary literature, magazines and newspapers
- Texts carefully selected to cover topical issues and themes relevant to contemporary Spain and Latin America
- Clear, user-friendly and comprehensive coverage of grammar, aided by a list of grammatical terms
- An abundance of exercises designed to thoroughly build up grammatical understanding and effective comprehension and communication skills
- Free companion website featuring an assortment of extra exercises for additional practice
This third edition has been revised and updated throughout and offers new exercises and fresh texts.
Spanish Grammar in Context will be an essential resource for intermediate to advanced students of Spanish. It is suitable for both classroom use and independent study.
Table of Contents
Preface . Acknowledgements . Glossary of grammatical terms Part One: The verb 1. The present tense 2. The preterite 3. The imperfect 4. The perfect 5. The pluperfect 6. The future 7. The conditional 8. The infinitive 9. The gerund 10. Modal verbs 11. Passive and impersonal sentences 12. The reflexive 13. Ser and estar 14. The present subjunctive 15. The imperfect subjunctive 16. The pluperfect subjunctive and conditional perfect 17. The imperative Part Two: Grammar essentials 18. Articles 19. Nouns 20. Adjectives 21. Adverbs 22. Comparison 23. Demonstratives 24. Possessives 25. Personal pronouns 26. Relative pronouns 27. Negation 28. Prepositions 29. Conjunctions 30. Word order Consolidation exercises. Keys. Irregular and spelling-changing verbs. Bibliography. Index
Juan Kattán-Ibarra is a freelance author
Angela Howkins was formerly Lecturer in Spanish at Dundee College, Scotland. She has taught widely in Spanish and has lectured on Spanish history and civilisation.
"This is a well-conceived edition, which covers important grammatical areas clearly and methodically, while engaging students with topics of interest to their studies. I recommend it highly." - Ronan Fitzsimons, Nottingham Trent University
"Great use of authentic texts to introduce Spanish grammar and culture" - Viviannette González-Barreto, Indiana University
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.