Spanish Vocabulary Learning in Meaning-Oriented Instruction is the first comprehensive overview of current research and instructional practices into Spanish vocabulary acquisition through the lens of Meaning-Oriented Instruction (MOI).
• a breadth of topics including language variation, input, tasks and processing specificity, incidental learning, idiomatic language, lexicographic perspectives, lexicosemantic representation, vocabulary testing, and receptive and productive vocabulary;
• a combination of theory and practical guidance highlighting pedagogical best practices in the teaching of vocabulary;
• guidance on the difficulties teachers face when teaching vocabulary in the classroom;
• clear explanations with plenty of examples and useful references;
• tasks and activities that help teachers move from a traditional curricular approach to a more innovative and engaging one focused on communicating, completing tasks, and learning content.
Written by an international cohort of scholars in a succinct and accessible manner, Spanish Vocabulary Learning in Meaning-Oriented Instruction is an essential resource for teachers of Spanish at all levels. It is also an excellent reference book for researchers and both undergraduate and graduate students interested in Spanish vocabulary acquisition.
Introduction: Meaning and Vocabulary: Two Key Elements of Spanish Language Teaching
Joe Barcroft and Javier Muñoz-Basols
1 Identifying Target Spanish Vocabulary: Issues of Regional Variation
Manuel Díaz-Campos and Laura Merino
2 Input, Tasks, and Processing Specificity in Spanish Vocabulary Learning
3 Incidental Learning of L2 Spanish Vocabulary
María Pilar Agustín-Llach
4 Acquisition of Idiomatic Language in L2 Spanish
Frank Boers and Javier Muñoz-Basols
5 Lexicographic Perspectives and L2 Spanish Vocabulary
Antoni Nomdedeu Rull
6 Quality of Lexicosemantic Representation in L2 Spanish
Gretchen Sunderman and Jamile Forcelini
7 Testing L2 Spanish Vocabulary Knowledge
Ignacio Rodríguez Sánchez
8 Receptive and Productive Vocabulary Levels Tests for L2 Spanish