© 2018 – Routledge
356 pages | 31 B/W Illus.
Sport is a global business. Now more than ever, sport communication professionals need to understand sport’s global reach in order to develop their full potential. This is the first textbook to introduce the fundamental principles and practice of sport communication from an international perspective. Combining business strategies with insights into social issues such as gender, disability and national identity, this is an accessible, practical and engaging guide to the essentials of sport communication.
Aimed to enhance learning at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, each chapter contains special features tailored to meet the needs of students and instructors. These include learning objectives, chapter summaries, activities, reflections, discussion questions, recommended resource lists and original cross-cultural case studies that demonstrate sport communication theories put into practice. Its twenty chapters explore communication in sport across all levels, from interpersonal communication and team building to strategic communications, and in all forms of media, from print and broadcast to social media.
Sport Communication: An International Approach is an essential text for any course on sport communication, sport business or sport management.
1. Studying Communication and Sport
Part I: Communicating Sport
2. Interpersonal Communication and Sport
3. Communicating Leadership in Sport Teams and Organizations
4. Strategic Communication in Sport
5. Traditional Media
6. New Media
Part II: Audience and Diversity
7. The Fan
8. Disability and Sport
9. Gender, Race, and Ethnicity
10. Nationalism, Culture, and Identity
Part III: Markets and Sport as Commodity
11. Sport Promotion and Economics
12. The Sporting Mega Event
13. Image and Crisis Communication
Part IV: Special Issues in Sport Communication
14. Sport Heroes and Celebrities
15. Health, Sport, and Communication
16. Sport Fiction: Fantasy and Video Games
17. Legal and Ethical Issues in Sport Communication
Part V: Measurement and Research in Sport
18. Sport Analytics
19. Theorizing in Communication and Sport
20. Scholarly Research